Router problem??

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Bill N, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Bill N

Bill N Guest

For the last couple of weeks have been having spotty wireless problems. Wireless connection will be working fine and then just slow down and I get a network timeout. The wireless router I am using is about 2 years old. Running a NetGear router.

The problems seem to get worse when more wireless users are online. Other times I might be the only one using the wireless end of it and I can hang the cursor over my wireless network connection icon in the tray and see that my 54.0 Mbps will drop down to 36.0Mbps and I have time out issues.

I have a wired connection running to a desktop and an Xbox. At times there may be 3 laptops vying for wireless, this I can understand might cause problems, esp. when my son is online on his Xbox.

Does it sound like the most likely problem might be the router is causing the problem? At times I can just reset the cable modem and router and it will clear up. Other times it seems like you just have to wait a while and it takes care of itself. Thanks for any ideas you can pass my way. Bill

2. About two months ago, I was having similar issues with a Linksys wireless router that was about three years old. Wired connections were fine, but wireless connections were dropping in and out, after years of great performance. Resetting initialy worked for me early on, but then even that did not fix it at the later stages.

In the end.. I just replaced the router and now all connections are fine again.

If it were me, I would just wait for a router to go on sale and try replacing it.

3. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    Interesting, I use a linksys and I get slow service and network timeouts all the time. I just thought it was my cable company.

4. rlacy

rlacy

Apr 22, 2007
    San Diego
    Interesting thread. I use (because I have to) Time Warner. The wireless system in my home has been adequate, but not great--Netgear router. I have recently been experiencing the same type of problems. I blamed it on TW, but maybe the router just gets old. Mine is two years old and it services my desktop, my laptop and my wife's laptop. Maybe a new router is worth a try.

Thanks for the thread.

Ron

5. Lisa..

The router that went bad was an older Linksys wireless "G" router and I replaced it with a newer Linksys wireless "N" router, that I assumed was as good as the older "G". It looked like a saucer with no antennas. It was the worst router I have ever seen. Signal strength was very bad.

I replaced it with a Netgear "N", which has been very good so far.
    The next laptops I get will have "N" on them.. hopefully, for the faster speeds.

... your problems may be your cable service. Comcast here is usually pretty reliable, with the exception of the occasional storm.

6. I agree with the router being the culprit. I had a linksys I used for close to 3 years and it started with the spotty service wireless and the range shortened up. I decided to just get a new one and it has been working great since. Figure 50$ every couple years to swap routers isn't that big of a deal.

7. Bill N

Bill N Guest

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking I had to replace the router a couple of years ago as it was doing the very same thing. Nice to know that others have solved this type of thing with a new router also. I will be hitting the newspaper ads for this weekend and I will see what I can find. Thanks again, Bill

8. kays

kays

Aug 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I had similar problems with Netgear and D-Link routers - Saturday morning, the damn thing would lock up, regular as rain, requiring a total restart of the network - and it could go down again at any time.

Turns out there are about six wireless networks in the area, some of which were on "my channel" and some using channel bonding - so between the multiple hits for login, and the channel conflicts, the routers were toast.

I thought it was my DSl provider at first - changed out the modem, and switched to cable. It wasn't the isp... My new laptop has a much better utility to display networks in the area - including those with SSID not broadcast - it still sees the network, but can't really identify it.

Once I saw all the networks, those single vs bonded channel, and did some reading on the bleedover from channel to channel, I was able to choose a channel that while had the possibility of being hit with some bleedover, there was no direct channel conflict.

Network now has been up 4 months now - I was lucky in the past for it to stay up for four hours...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.