Routers

Real Name
Mike
Does anyone make a wireless router that will last more than a year?! I seem to have to replace mine about every year. The one I have now is acting up. I am getting intermittent connections and slower connections through the router. Very frustrating.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I have several Netgear routers that work fine after 2 to 5 years. But I've had a couple with failures after two years.

Are you quite certain it is your router? Does it work when you connect wired, not wireless? Have you tested for interference from neighbours' routers? Have you tried different channels?

I have an app on my Android phone called WiFi Analyser that shows channels and signal levels of all routers nearby, or you can download inSSIDer for the PC, which does the same thing.
http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=ssider&searchtype=downloads

Real Name
Mike
I'm having a problem with intermittent connections and speed loss on my desktop which is normally wired through the router to the modem. At this moment, the router is disconnected and the modem is connected directly to my desktop. My download speed has almost doubled. I haven't actually checked the wireless network which gets used very infrequently.

Wow! My Linksys is almost 4. It has never skipped a beat. In fact, I've been through three modems with this router. I AM convinced, however, that I should plug my laptop into the modem directly to check the speed just to make sure! See, paranoia is contagious :tongue:

I've got a Linksys wired router that is going strong now for about 8 years, maybe more. For WiFi, I got an Apple Airport Express that's hooked in to the wire network.

On the other hand I've also got a 4 year old Linksys 3G router (regular router that takes a PCMCIA 3G wireless broadband card) that still works just fine but as of 2 years back I can no longer get in to the web based administration tools to manage/reconfigure it. As long as it continued to work for network access, I just kept using it figuring I would forceably reset it if there was ever a real problem. Have yet to have to do that, but I finally retired it a few months back in favor of a Virgin Mobile MiFi (cheaper service costs, tons smaller device, battery powered).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom