Royal Yacht Britannia

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Andyc, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    Britannia was taken out of service some years ago but since 1954 had served the British Royal family and hosted many official functions for foreign heads of state. She is now berthed at Ocean Terminal Leith which is the port for Edinburgh and can be viewed by the public.
    I found it difficult to take photo's due to other visitors, cramped space (with the exception of the state dining room and royal lounge) and glass seperating cabins and viewers.
    I hope these photo's give some idea of what can be seen.

Britannia moored outside Ocean Terminal.

brit1.

brit5.

brit9.

The Bridge.

brit2.

Ships Bell (clapper removed).

brit3.

Officers Dining Room.

brit6.

State Dining Room.

View attachment 106164

Queens Lounge.

View attachment 106165

Queens Bedroom.

brit4.

Hope you enjoy.

Best regards
    Andy

2. What a beauty she is! I bet the Royals had a lot of fun while she was in commission! I'm assuming they have a new one now? Gorgeous photos and thanks for the lovely tour!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great pictures
    Can you give the particulars how you shot those rooms.

4. Andy

Thanks for this up close look at the Britannia. I rememeber seeing her on the Saint Lawrence Seaway near Montreal (Canada) many years ago as a kid out boating with my family.

Funny how some things come back to you. Never had the chance to see the inside. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2007
  5. No they don't have a new one. Presumably the Royal Navy could no longer afford to run one for them.

Ronnie

6. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    Thank you for your comments.
    Dianne,unfortunatly Ronnies is correct as Britannia has never been replaced due to costs.
    Gale, as a beginner I relied on the camera and left it in P mode. There are a few high spots where the lights and portholes are in shot. With so many people viewing I couldn't experiment with manual etc as I may have become slightly unpopular.

The bridge was 1/125 F5.6 iso 400
    Officersdining room 1/16 F3.8 iso 400 built in flash
    State Dining room as above
    Queens lounge as above
    Bedroom as above.

It's a bit sad seeing her as she is but it would be much sadder if she had been scrapped.

Well worth a visit if you visit Edinburgh.

Best regards
    Andy

7. I recall seeing the Britannia when she, and the queen, were in New Haven, CT. Think it was in the 70's.

A magnificent vessel. Paint was (naturally) royal blue. All portlight frames, at that time, were polished (brass/bronze). Extremely showy. The queen was dressed in green... That sticks in my mind...

When she left the harbor the royal orchestra was playing it's heart out on the topmost weatherdeck. I thought we'd follow her to the east on Long Island Sound, but they poured on the diesel and left us far, far behind, wallowing in her wake.