RPN

the current 35s does not have the EEX key that she needs.
Just looked at mine, and it doesn't have EEX. Never noticed as not a key I use.

I definitely prefer the portrait layout to the landscape.

I still have my old 15C, but it's quite worn. I also found that I have a couple of old 33S's in my drawer too!

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Got this my last year of college in 1988. Still in pristine condition. Still ticking. Doesn't get much use these days, but its a great tool when you need it.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just looked at mine, and it doesn't have EEX. Never noticed as not a key I use.

I definitely prefer the portrait layout to the landscape.

I still have my old 15C, but it's quite worn. I also found that I have a couple of old 33S's in my drawer too!
Since I primarily use my old 22, I never noticed the EEX key either.
Then again, I don't do that kind of math anyway.

I "think" I figured out one reason why I like the 22. I can use it with one hand, which I can't do with the 12C.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I admit to having several HPs. The little Voyager series ones are lovely and the batteries can last for decades without needing to be changed. They are all programmable. The three best ones in the Voyager series are:
  1. The famous HP 12C, for financial calculations. It is famous because it continues almost unchanged since 1981 and is sometimes mentioned by name in legal contracts, to avoid potential arguments about the calculations relating to loans, bonds and other financial instruments. A genuine 12C is essential for many people. (I have four of them, two original ones and two 12C Platinum, which also has algebraic mode and an undo button.)
  2. The HP 15C, the most advanced scientific calculator in the range (the 10C and 11C are cut-down versions of the 15C).
  3. The HP 16C, which is my favourite, this is the computer science calculator. You can set the word size, and other details, and then do many logical and arithmetic operations while working in decimal, binary, octal or hexadecimal. HP never made another calculator for programmers, it was made in 1982 and available until 1989. The 16C is quite rare. Here is a photo - note the keys A to F for entering hex:
    1602929294448.png

I also have the "HP 19BII Business Consultant", which is a weird design that opens like a book with a hinge in the middle, and an alphabetic keyboard on the left. It has the clever SOLVE feature. It does RPN or algebraic. I have never liked this calculator much.

If you have not yet come across Free42, this is an excellent free emulator of the HP 42S, available for PC, Mac, iPhone, Android, Linux. I have it on my PC and my phone. You can trust this program to give correct results, unlike some emulators. https://thomasokken.com/free42/

I dislike Facebook and don't use it myself but I recommend that you all take a look at the "HP Calculator Fan Club" group. It is amazing. There are collectors there with hundreds of HP calculators. Lots of information on restoring and repairing them, programming them etc. They also cover the beautiful new Swiss Micros calculators - these are new versions of HP calculators, including computer interface so programs can be transferred. https://www.swissmicros.com/products

I'm dating myself....it was my third year in Engineering school when one of our classmates got an HP-35. No more slide rule polar to rectangular (and vice versa) conversions. It sped up the homework immensely...thankfully Ed had no problem passing it around for all to use...

Now, I have 3 HP-15C's, but don't use them much anymore (woulda "killed for that" in college). I have an HP45 app on the iPhone and never use the Apple calculator, except on the Mac but it's set for RPN.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom