RRS Ball head

there is an old saying, "the cheap can be expensive" after may ball heads/tripods and getting bigger lenses was getting the old shakeroo pics, so ordered a new tripod and RRS- BH55PRO, my question is has anyone lubricated the ball, it is nice but could be smoother, thinking like silicon spray?

NEVER MIND, I just RTFB......DO NOT LUBE THE BALL:whistle:

West coast of FL (formerly Westchester County, NY)
Ever hear the expression, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?"

Incidentally, this is from the RRS owner's manual

Lubrication
The BH-55 is lubricated at the factory and parts that require lubrication
are sealed. NO LUBRICATION IS REQUIRED BY THE USER. Especially
DO NOT LUBRICATE THE BALL as this will decrease the lock-up capacity
and tend to attract dirt/dust. Just keep the ball free from contamination

Real Name
Randy
Never once in 5 years
It will outlast me

An amazing ball head and probably the best

Thanks Rick/Randy..........I know, what was I thinking...............I bought this ball because of the knob I can grab, and reputation, and BOY! did I get KNOB.........awesome.

I remember when I was in college working in an auto garage to earn tuition money (long time ago - way before disc brakes) a customer came into the shop and said since her brakes were squealing, could I just oil the shoes to stop the squeak. Absolutely true story. Try explaining why that is not a good idea with a straight face. Certainly not equating your question with the one about the brakes, but....

Oh what the hell - yes I am. :D

I remember when I was in college working in an auto garage to earn tuition money (long time ago - way before disc brakes) a customer came into the shop and said since her brakes were squealing, could I just oil the shoes to stop the squeak. Absolutely true story. Try explaining why that is not a good idea with a straight face. Certainly not equating your question with the one about the brakes, but....

Oh what the hell - yes I am. :D
oh YES, I worked in auto repair 47 years, I have a few of those stories............... and besides, the unit is brand new, so in time it should get nice and mellow.
we all know dang well someone has tried lubing it!

oh YES, I worked in auto repair 47 years, I have a few of those stories............... and besides, the unit is brand new, so in time it should get nice and mellow.
we all know dang well someone has tried lubing it!

Glad you took it the way I intended it to be. After I pressed "post reply", I worried that you would take it wrong.

47 years in auto repair - have me beat by a mile. Once I realized that I can no longer find the sparkplugs on a modern car and have to unscrew about 50 screws to get to the oil filter, I hung up my dwell meter and timing light. I remember spending half hour looking for the battery in my first Audi.

I just had to update........The BH55 is like no other, just very well made, BUT I also would like the use of a gimble, so I bought a Induro GHBA, which attaches to the BH55, and the ball head level turret operation gives rt/lt movement, BUT I found the Induro Arca Swiss clamp cumbersome when your holding a D800 w/a 500mm and trying to screw it down hardly fun, sooooooo, I purchased a RRS lever clamp BLLR 1, thinking I can put the lens foot in the RRS clamp and snap the clamp, ,,,,come to find out, this clamp has a 3 position clamp, to where you can slide the foot in WITHOUT it falling out, I have become a friend of RRS products, I am happier than I realized, very very well made products.
I will have to modify a little tab on Induro, for me no big deal, 20 min will be done.

Latest threads

Top Bottom