RRS BH-55 plates

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Gilles, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Which one do you have?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I don't have a picture handy at the moment but I actually use the PCL panning clamp.

4. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi gilles-

the first one, same as the one paul has on his tripod. a quick release clamp is easier and more consistent for me than a thumbscrew.

ricky

5. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Same as above.

[​IMG]

6. I change the plate from the clamp to the pro, with the L-plate on the camera you cannot close the clamp on one side when I use the 70-200 or the 200 micro-nikkor it get stuck on the L-plate, with the pro-lock i dont have that problem.

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

8. Hi All ,

i am looking for a good balhead at this moment. Also considering the RSS 55 or the markins 20.
    I have a question about the clamp. Wich one is more secure ? the pro or the clamp.
    Sometimes i carry the tripod with camera over mij shoulder and don't want the camera to fall of when i accidently touch the clamp.

BTW wich ballhead would you suggest ??

thanks

9. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

10. Hi paul,

Thanks for the fast reply !!

Just one other question. beside the ballhead i also want to invest in a good tripod.
    Because i am 1.9 meter i am considering the 3 serie of gitzo.
    I see some guys overhere using the leveling base on the tripod.
    I can't figur out what the benifit of that is. Can't you just level the camera with the balhead ? isn't it a double function ??

thanks

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

12. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

13. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    I also have the Gitzo Leveling Head, as recommended by Birger, and find it indespensable. Hard to explain, but once you use one, you wonder how you ever got along without it.
    Also, I have to question why so many of you feel you need the larger, more expensive Markin's M-20 Ballhead, when the lighter, less expensive M-10 is rated for 88 lbs, while the M-20 is rated for 99 lbs? No one will ever some close to maxing out these rated weights. PS, I have 2 M-10s, one on a Gitzo 1228 Mountaineer, and the other on a Gitzo CF Monopod usually used with a Wimberley Sidekick.

14. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

15. Alex i carried my camera and tripod over the shoulder with both plates and i have had no problems, you can always buy the ballhead with the clamp and order at the same time the other plate wich is very easy to replace. Also the pro-clamp can be ordered with a screw with a locking mechanism. The pro is as secure as the clamp. What i am watching right now is their small tripod which should be available later this year.

Note: one thing you should do is to have something to tie the L-plate of the camera to the tripod, just in case that way your outfit would not fall on the ground.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2005
  16. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    OK here's a picture of my setup. The nice thing about the PCL clamp is that it means less added weight compared to the leveling base, and it will work with non-Gitzo tripods. Also, you can drop it into one of the vertical drop-slots to shoot a vertical panorama, something you can't do with just the leveling base.

original.

17. Jeff you have another option for the head and there a fourth option which is a round plate with a screw on top. Also if you have a Manfrotto ballhead you can just buy a RRS plate to replace the Manfrotto plate on top of the ballhead.

18. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Not sure what you mean, I made the point that the Gitzo leveling plate was only compatible with Gitzo legs (AFAIK), I wasn't talking about specific heads. I still think the panning clamp is more flexible though, if for nothing else the ability to shoot vertical panos.