RRS L-Bracket for D500

I wonder if it's done in part for videography or tethered still shooting. It makes it easier to run cables without 90-degree connectors when the vertical arm can be separated from the side of the body. I use mine this way for my wireless triggers on the D600 and Sony A7.

In the UK the RRS plate costs about $200 which is a huge wodge. I'm waiting for the Sunwayfoto plate. I have one on my D200 and it is first rate. In the meantime I have a Chinese generic L-plate costing under £7 or about $10. Oddly enough it is surprisingly well made, albeit blocking the side doors, which I do not use.

I'm curious why RRS and Kirk went with this two piece design. Can anyone who has one see an obvious reason?
I suspect it is cost. You need a thick piece of angle section extruded aluminium to make a one piece L-bracket, which is surely not cheap.

Just a heads up, but the Kirk L-bracket for the D500 without the grip is also a two-piece affair. This should have been obvious, since they sell the side piece separately. The side piece is held in place by two screws instead of one for the RRS L-bracket, but comparing the RRS L-bracket for the Sony A7II that I have, the Kirk mortise-tenon joint is much shallower than the RRS version. Both seem equally rigid, but the RRS version instills a little more confidence despite only using one screw, albeit with a bigger diameter.
Since I already have the Kirk in hand and shipping it back to the U.S. would cost too much, I think I'll just keep and use it.
I ended up with the Kirk, and I know what you mean, it does not instill confidence. However, I contacted Kirk and I was informed (in a somewhat brusque manner as if they were annoyed) that they tested the two piece L-bracket, and the metal bent before the screws failed. I see no reason not to believe them given their good reputation. There is an alternative on ebay, which looks very good, and at a fraction of the price. It is also a two piece design but with a deeper mortice.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom