RRS L-Bracket for D500

I pre-ordered the L-Plate from RRS for my D500 and it arrived today. It will go back to RRS tomorrow.

They've gone to a two piece sliding unit, unlike the one piece unit for the D810. It also no longer has the winged thumbscrew. Two steps back for me. Those two pieces can separate at all the wrong times. They added a magnetic holder for the allen wrench, so I can keep it on the L bracket. Really? That will last a long time in the field. I'd rather have the wing-nut.

I'll either just use a generic bottom plate for the few times the camera will need a tripod, or buy a one-piece L bracket from Kirk for $35 less when it becomes available. Most of the times the lens has a collar or it's hand held.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
HERE is the link for the product. I was wondering about the wing nut. Couldn't find a photo of it. Where is it and what does it do? Hold the 2 sections together? Actually, the ability to add or remove the vertical part of the L bracket doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.

HERE is the link for the product. I was wondering about the wing nut. Couldn't find a photo of it. Where is it and what does it do? Hold the 2 sections together? Actually, the ability to add or remove the vertical part of the L bracket doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.

Karen, Ted noted in his original post that, "It also no longer has the winged thumbscrew."

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Karen, Ted noted in his original post that, "It also no longer has the winged thumbscrew."
Thanks, Nick....my mistake. Guess I was confused as I have used RRS L brackets on all my cameras....and none of them have had a winged thumbscrew..... So instead of reading I thought he was referring to a winged thumbscrew on the new L brackets. LOL! DUH!

Actually, Karen, I was wondering the same thing about the winged thumbscrew. Ted must be confusing RRS L-brackets with some other brand, because all of my other RRS L-brackets have never had one.

I just got an RRS L-bracket for my Sony A7, and I think it was probably one of their first two-piece designs. It has a captive winged thumb screw. I think it depends on how you use your camera in terms of it's utility. The winged screw is nice as you don't need an allen wrench to make adjustments, but you never get it locked on as tightly by hand turning the tiny wing. I use an RF remote trigger system for my D600 and A7, both of which require plugging into the micro-USB port on the side of the camera. I love these moveable two-piece brackets so that you can shoot vertically with the remote without bending the cables, then get the vertical arm out of the way when you're done.

The RRS solution on the A7 bracket makes it easier to do in the field as there are no parts required. My D600 bracket from Hejnar requires an allen wrench, but it's easy as you just loosen it a bit, slide the whole construct out, then tighten. The Hejnar vertical arm is removable, but requires a smaller sized allen wrench which I tend to forget, and then you have to make sure not to lose the small bolt. With the RRS, you remove the vertical piece, and use the same winged thumb screw for just the horizontal base, so overall a better solution, but harder to machine and more expensive.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Actually, Karen, I was wondering the same thing about the winged thumbscrew. Ted must be confusing RRS L-brackets with some other brand, because all of my other RRS L-brackets have never had one.
Ah....it's an option! Nice for folks to have choices. The "vanilla" RRS L brackets have always been fine for me.

Just a heads up, but the Kirk L-bracket for the D500 without the grip is also a two-piece affair. This should have been obvious, since they sell the side piece separately. The side piece is held in place by two screws instead of one for the RRS L-bracket, but comparing the RRS L-bracket for the Sony A7II that I have, the Kirk mortise-tenon joint is much shallower than the RRS version. Both seem equally rigid, but the RRS version instills a little more confidence despite only using one screw, albeit with a bigger diameter.
Since I already have the Kirk in hand and shipping it back to the U.S. would cost too much, I think I'll just keep and use it.

I never did return the bracket to RRS. I needed an L-Bracket, so…since it was here. It assembles tightly and works just fine, like RRS equipment always seems to. I hope the two pieces stay firmly assembled over time, but miss the easier attachment I have with their D810 L-bracket and thumbscrew. Works fine, but a step backwards none-the-less and not cheap at $150.

It is rather interesting to see RRS go to a 2 piece design. For the number of times I use/needan L-bracket or base plate, it never made a lot of sense for me to buy the dedicated units, especially when I had 2 different bodies. I found Hejnar Photo somewhere along the line and bought one of these Universal Units, I think it may be This One. Fits well, stays nice and tight, and easily moves from the D810 to the D500, no muss no fuss. I like the price as well.

I'm curious why RRS and Kirk went with this two piece design. Can anyone who has one see an obvious reason?
No. I much prefer the one-piece design RRS did for the D810 (which I own), especially with the wrench-less wing nut. RRS mentions the two-piece design allows for some adjustment. The new two design is also thicker, making the camera take up more room (with no advantage for me). It's a disappointing step backwards. It may be cheaper to make the two piece, but I can see no customer advantage.

Looks to me like RRS is doing for the new Nikon bodies what they have been doing for the Leica Ms. With Leica one can order the baseplate, the vertical plate, and the grip (unnecessary with the Nikon) as individual pieces or in various combinations. That eliminates the need to have a separate baseplate model from the one-piece L-Plate and allows one to get the baseplate only and then add the vertical plate later if the need arises. Looks they are doing this only on the lighter bodies - the D5 L-Plate is still one piece.

Latest threads

Top Bottom