1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

RRS L-plate, YUCK!

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by lanthier, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Anyway see the Really Right Stuff L-Plate (without MD10). That bulge might be functional, but it looks really weird and might make handholding a little strange... Thoughts?

2. Got a link? I never had a problem hand holding my D200 or D300 with the Kirk L Plate. I don't think I would get one for the grip, seems like it would get in the way when shooting vertically and holding by the bottom.

3. KeithR

KeithR

Jun 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    It's on the site:
    http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.asp?ic=BD700-L&eq=&Tp=

Ya it does look strange, but the pics show why. I'd still would want to see one with the grip.

4. I wonder what the kirk looks like, that is way too massive IMO!

5. Eye Spy

Eye Spy Guest

Looks more like really wrong stuff! They should make another for those who don't need access to the connections on that side of the camera. That is really ugly!

6. Picasso Moon

Picasso Moon

Nov 15, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'll second that. If that is the best they can do I'll stick with a much cheaper plate and put up with flopping the head over. I hope Kirk's are better and would also like to see a bracket for those of us that never need access to the side ports.

"YUCK" hits the nail squarely on the head.

7. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Dang, I was really really hoping the D300 plate was gonna work on the 700, since both can accomodate the grip. I am going to hang onto my D300 L Brax long enough to find out for sure. I don't trust them saying, no it won't fit. They may just mean you can't access the stuff on the side, if so, who cares.

Brad at Berger Bros says I am in the first up group, early next week supposed, so I guess I'll find out next week maybe if lucky.

Doug

8. KeithR

KeithR

Jun 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    I agree, it doesn't look pretty. But, considering that they don't make that many(compared to camera bodies produced) and the cost of manufacture and the camera design it's self, all lend to the compromise you see. I have the L for my D3. I've had 30 years in mechanical design, and I really think they could have made it a little different and still had access to everything. But, I concluded that the contouring I would have done, might have resulted in a more expensive machining process, and you have to draw the line as to what something costs to produce and what it would sell for.
    That said, my initial thought on the bracket for the D700 was that the design may have been rushed to get it out in short order. Remember, the 700 was just announced 1JULY and shipping to be by 1AUG. RRS had more time with past cameras with regard to announcement and shipment.
    Also, the bracket shown is not for the camera with grip, and RRS didn't design the door or the placement of it on the camera body.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2008
  9. madone

madone

Jan 9, 2006
    Connecticut
    WOW, that has to be the bulkiest bracket I've seen. Horrible design!. What was wrong with the slotted screw at the base and slide it over when/if you need access to the side panel?

If I get a D700 I definitely will not be buying that L-Bracket, that's for sure.

RRS is you are listening...MOST do not care about the side panel access. Please give us a low profile version.

10. Thanks Keith, in my zeal to post this, I forgot to copy in that link.... Glad I am not alone in thinking this is off...

11. + 1 to Mindy, RWS! Love it...

12. Can someone explain to my what these are for?

I often see folks ordering these RRS things whenever a camera comes out.

Does it basically add a tripod mount to the side of the camera as well as the base?

13. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Yes !!!

14. I have RRS on both my D200 and D300. They are great, works as advertised, mounts up great on a tripod or a mono-pod ..... unlock and flip the camera .... very quick and secure.

Ugly ........ not even a consideration to me ....... the stuff just works.

15. this is me

this is me

Feb 10, 2007
    MA
    Yes, these L-plate are essential when you're using a tripod. You can mount your camera on a tripod in portrait and landscape configuration without having to recompose and most important of all, your camera is not hanging to the side of the tripod.
    http://reallyrightstuff.com/QR/05.html

16. this is me

this is me

Feb 10, 2007
    MA
    I love RRS stuff but this is wrong! I hope they'll listen and redesign the plate.

17. madone

madone

Jan 9, 2006
    Connecticut
    I don't think ugly is really the problem. Cumbersome comes to mind. The extra width now makes the size of the total package to big for some current camera bags, but one of the biggest issues I see is that gap in the bracket. That design is just going to be a snag point for straps and more.

The only way they'll listen is to send in a complaint. Based on the thread alone they should receive a loud and clear message...IF you follow through and let your opinions be known.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2008
  18. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    Are the Kirk L Plates compatible with the RRS quick release ball heads?

Perhaps this size is required because of the additional weight?

19. madone

madone

Jan 9, 2006
    Connecticut
    Yes, for the most part. There is a warning on the RRS site about only using thier plates with their Lever clamp, but if you have a screw clamp its good to go.

"NOTE ABOUT LEVER-RELEASE CLAMPS: Due to wide variations in other brands of Arca-Swiss compatible plates, we recommend using our lever-release clamps only with Really Right Stuff or Wimberley brand quick-release plates. To ensure compatibility with our lever-release clamps, we do offer a plate trade-in discount. If you already own Arca-style plates from other manufacturers (Kirk, Foba, Markins, AcraTech, Novoflex, or Arca-Swiss), we offer a $22.50 exchange discount towards purchase of a Really Right Stuff quick-release plate. Plate exchange only for identical model; you must send us your plate in advance to qualify for this discount. "

20. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    If bailing wire or a design like this are my only choices, I choose bailing wire. lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.