RRS Long Lens Support

After watching my 600E bounce around on my Wimberly, I decided to give the RRS support a try. All I can say is wow! Amazing support. I have shot snowy owls several times with the D850/600E combo and usually have to have shutter speeds quite fast. That bumps the ISO up. Wind is a deal breaker, more than about 5-10 mph and there is too much jitter. Even using standard long lens techniques didn't help. Neither did VR, much.
Used the support yesterday, overcast with winds 15 mph gusting to 25+. Steady as a rock, shutter speeds as low as 1/250 looked great. Keeper rate was lower than the 1/800 sec shots but there were more than a few. It's worth the price and extra 1.4 lbs weight, great device!

I don't have the latest version of the 600, I have the one prior, and I went a slightly different way, the Borden Steady Foot Extreme. I have to agree with Mr. Baywing, although I'm not sure I can quantify it as well as he does. I was actually researching the RRS as well as all the knock-offs, you can find a bunch on Amazon, when I happened to find the Borden. I'm not sure they are even made anymore, I can't find anyplace selling them.

Curious which one you got, they've got a few different ones.
The $290 "kit" with the adjustable front support. Went with the extra front clamp as I'll be using it with 2 different tele's and I want the ability to adjust quickly.

After watching my 600E bounce around on my Wimberly, I decided to give the RRS support a try. All I can say is wow! Amazing support. I have shot snowy owls several times with the D850/600E combo and usually have to have shutter speeds quite fast. That bumps the ISO up. Wind is a deal breaker, more than about 5-10 mph and there is too much jitter. Even using standard long lens techniques didn't help. Neither did VR, much.
Used the support yesterday, overcast with winds 15 mph gusting to 25+. Steady as a rock, shutter speeds as low as 1/250 looked great. Keeper rate was lower than the 1/800 sec shots but there were more than a few. It's worth the price and extra 1.4 lbs weight, great device!
The RRS device address movement between the rotation ring of the lens foot/mount and the lens body. Did you consider having Nikon fix this under warranty?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Years ago I bought a couple of these:
TQR1 after hearing about them from Troy Lim and his review. They have been working well, although I did have a friend of mine, now my boss, machine better locking screws. Like so many other products/projects these are not around anymore.

Were I doing this today I would probably use the Acratech quick release lever clamp, I like it better than the RRS because of the positive lock and adjustments, and I have liked and used Acratech ballheads for years. Then either use the RRS round adapter or just a small Arca Swiss plate to attach under the head.

The other long lens support system I looked at is from Hejnar Photo. I have a number of their products and find them to be very high quality, good value for money in my opinion.

Real Name
Randy
Round Dovetail Plate

TA-LBC Quick-Release Clamp

I believe that RRS is using these to create a quick release for the Wimberley Head/RRS Head.
so the dovetail plate mounts under the wimberly via 1 bolt ? what size ?
and the clamp mounts to the tripod via 1 screw ? what size ?
then they meet via a lever

any concerns about going from 1 mounting place to 3 and the screw sizes

thanks

I'm having a hard time understanding how the mounting clamp attaches to the tripod head. The one shown here does not have a central hole for the tripod center screw, it has four smaller screws on the outside edge. I don't think My RRS tripod head has the female threaded holes to accept the screws.

Do you have to mount a leveling base first, and then the mounting clamp?

so the dovetail plate mounts under the wimberly via 1 bolt ? what size ?
and the clamp mounts to the tripod via 1 screw ? what size ?
then they meet via a lever

any concerns about going from 1 mounting place to 3 and the screw sizes

thanks
Dovetail 3/8 same as stud coming out of the tripod.
That specific clamp uses 4 screws to attach to a leveling base.
Without a leveling base use...
B2-LLR II Quick-Release Clamp
Which has a 3/8 threaded center hole.

Just got off the phone with RRS. For the tripod use a B2-LRII clamp. This will screw to your tripod head without a leveling base. Works with RRS or Gitzo tripods (the center studs are standard in the industry). The man on the phone said the B2-LLR II is too long.

For the Wimberley WH-200 or BH-40 ball head use a TH-DVTL-40.

For a BH-55 ball head use a TH-DVTL-55

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
But if you just need a gimbal - you would not use this right?
Correct. If you are using just a gimbal I don't think it is a big deal to spin the gimbal tightly onto the tripod screw. I even carry the tripod+gimbal+500 VR over my shoulder at times! :eek:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom