RRS new ground pod

Discussion in 'Tripods, Ball Heads, and Gimbals' started by Scott Sherman, Nov 8, 2005.

1. I can't remember who it was, but someone was asking a few weeks ago about a small tripod for shooting close to the ground. I just came across this new release from RRS and wanted to share. Hope this finds the one who was inquiring.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/pod/index.html

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. nfoto

nfoto Guest

You're a cheapskate Paul :biggrin: I took a professional Sachtler tripod, initially costing three times more than the RRS, and modified it exclusively for the same purpose, It became even smaller than the RRS and is modified to allow me to use it submerged as well - you'll never know where your next shooting will be located :tongue: And I have lots of pieces of surplus tripod legs to play around with as well, very useful as drumsticks for example.

4. Scott thank you for the information, i am interrested in that ground pod.

5. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    The RRS pod might be nice for shooting big glass but for other types of "low-to-the-ground" shooting I think the Kirk Low Pod might be better (not to mention costing 1/3 the price).

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Glad to be of any assistance to mitigating your family affairs, Paul.:biggrin:

Expendables are just that - an account within the entire set of accounts. Not the big one in terms of money, but nevertheless extremely important for the field work. Can't miss a shot because I just lost the cable release, and the nearest store likely to have one is a 5 hours drive away. So cable releases and sundry items are always at least triplicated for any assignment, big or small. It goes without saying this also applies to tripods! While I rarely lose a tripod in the field, I've witnessed a friend driving over one while he turned the car around at a tight dead-end. An acid test of friendship if there ever were one :mad:

8. Jeff the Kirk low pod is very nice on firm ground but on eneven ground with the RRS ballhead and a D2X on it you have to hold the pod so that it dont fall on its side; plus the Kirk has a fixed height compare to the RRS groundpod. The leg of the RRS spread farther away so it should be more stable specially on soft ground, quality of construction i guess both of them are equal.