RRS Pricing.

Joined
Mar 30, 2009
Messages
33
Location
South
Real Name
Bill
I recently got an email from RRS and Joe Johnson, Sr posted a note at the bottom indicating price increases starting Jan. 1, 2017.

Note from Joe Johnson, Sr.
Tripod and Head Price Increase

Effective 1 January 2017, the price of most tripods and tripod heads will increase 5-10%. This is the first price increase in over ten years on our market-leading products. During the same period the average price of a US car has increased 15% from $22,068 to $25,449, my barber has increased prices 3 times for a total of 25%, and the average price of a Big Mac in the US has increased 86% from $2.71 to $5.04.

This price increase allows us to continue striving for perfection in our products, innovating, and manufacturing to the highest quality in the USA. We hope the advanced notice will allow you, our highly valued customers, to better plan for your future investments.

Thank you all for your continued support,
Joe Johnson, Sr.
 
Joined
Jun 26, 2010
Messages
4,537
Location
Redwood City, CA
during that period cars got better, with more technology, RRS stayed the same. They also have to look at the competition and they're already higher than Gitzo, another quality leader. I hate it when manufactures try to defend price increases, they usually just sound incoherent.
 
Joined
Dec 3, 2012
Messages
6,303
Location
N Idaho
Think of all the money I've saved - last time I got my hair cut by a barber was that dark day 1965 when I got drafted - and I'm not convinced that guy was a barber. I don't eat McDonalds products, I won't glorify them by calling them food. I've spent everything I saved on new cars and RRS stuff...
 
Joined
Jun 26, 2010
Messages
4,537
Location
Redwood City, CA
Think of all the money I've saved - last time I got my hair cut by a barber was that dark day 1965 when I got drafted - and I'm not convinced that guy was a barber. I don't eat McDonalds products, I won't glorify them by calling them food. I've spent everything I saved on new cars and RRS stuff...
I always thought it a travesty that you had to pay for your Army haircut! Not an expensive cut, but not too glamorous either.
 
Joined
Mar 16, 2005
Messages
3,069
Location
Alaska
When Brian Geyer started and ran RRS, he wouldn't take credit cards. I'd call him, and he would send what I needed, and I'd put a check in the mail for him. He always trusted that I'd send the check. Since then, Kirk started business, and I've also found that Kirk is cheaper now, and their products are just as well made as RRS. Both stores have friendly and helpful people, but I think RRS might be pricing themselves out of business. Over the years, I've had 6 gitzo tripods, and several area-swiss heads (now archatech). I have one very light weight RRS tripod and ball head, but it was more expensive than a gitzo, but just a bit lighter in weight. That said, I almost never use it, as it isn't quite tall enough to be comfortable for me to use. If I'm traveling by air, and looking to skimp on weight, I'll carry that one. If I'm in my vehicle, I'll carry a much larger gitzo, and a much more heavy duty ball head.
 
Joined
Nov 19, 2011
Messages
7,246
Location
Central California
When Brian Geyer started and ran RRS, he wouldn't take credit cards. I'd call him, and he would send what I needed, and I'd put a check in the mail for him. He always trusted that I'd send the check. Since then, Kirk started business, and I've also found that Kirk is cheaper now, and their products are just as well made as RRS. Both stores have friendly and helpful people, but I think RRS might be pricing themselves out of business. Over the years, I've had 6 gitzo tripods, and several area-swiss heads (now archatech). I have one very light weight RRS tripod and ball head, but it was more expensive than a gitzo, but just a bit lighter in weight. That said, I almost never use it, as it isn't quite tall enough to be comfortable for me to use. If I'm traveling by air, and looking to skimp on weight, I'll carry that one. If I'm in my vehicle, I'll carry a much larger gitzo, and a much more heavy duty ball head.
It is my experience in the MFG world with all the Carbon Fiber tripods, the tripod company's do not make their own CF tubes, but rather buy from a MFG that makes tubes and all they do is assemble their hardware onto the outside supplied tubes, just like Ford buys spark plugs, tires, radiators from outside source.
 

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom