RRS - Wow

So I have a really old off brand tripod that served me well for 20 years until the day I put my new D500 on it and one leg slowly started to descend. Luckily, I hadn't wandered too far.

After reading many posts here and Thom's article, I decided to go right for the top end. My RRS TVC-34, BH-55 Ball head with Panning clamp and L bracket arrived today. All I can say is WOW! I've always preferred to shoot hand-held, but recognize that it's a limiting factor in my photos. This set-up is definitely going to change that!

Congratulations, as a tripod lover, it's hard to find one that won't improve your shot. I also like finding ones that are "just right" for the situation. The RRS tripods and heads are top-notch and should last you forever.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
RRS is definitely top notch! However, during the first couple of weeks of use, pay very careful attention to the center screw onto which you put your ball head or gimbal. Make sure it isn't working its way lower and thus exposing fewer threads to mount onto.

I, too, recently bought a brand new RRS tripod. I had to return it due to problems. They supposedly fixed it - but on my recent trip to Costa Rica my brand new tripod was not working properly. Once the gimbal fell off! Thanks goodness my 500mm was not on it at the time!

When I returned I contacted RRS and they told me my tripod was unsafe and I should not use it. They sent me a whole replacement apex section.

So, while I've always strongly supported RRS, I do recommend you check it out thoroughly.

RRS is definitely top notch! However, during the first couple of weeks of use, pay very careful attention to the center screw onto which you put your ball head or gimbal. Make sure it isn't working its way lower and thus exposing fewer threads to mount onto.

I, too, recently bought a brand new RRS tripod. I had to return it due to problems. They supposedly fixed it - but on my recent trip to Costa Rica my brand new tripod was not working properly. Once the gimbal fell off! Thanks goodness my 500mm was not on it at the time!

When I returned I contacted RRS and they told me my tripod was unsafe and I should not use it. They sent me a whole replacement apex section.

So, while I've always strongly supported RRS, I do recommend you check it out thoroughly.
Thanks for the info. I will watch it closely

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom