RT Hawk in Golden light

This was not my target species for the day, or should I say DAYS. I have been keeping track on a pair of Mississippi Kites and the property owner has been keeping track for me on when and how regular they come in and visit this place.

The last week and a half they came in every morning and perched in this dead tree on the back of his property. I decided to try and set up for some shots. I saw this Hawk come flying in and it landed right in the tree I was set up on. I figured, cool...get some quick shots of this and then if the Kites come in, some shots of them. WRONG...this Hawk would not leave. The Kites did show up and did come in to land but soon as they saw the hawk, the pulled up and flew down the tree line.

I came back the next morning, before sunrise again (yesterday) and when I got back to the spot, there sitting in the tree was this Hawk again! I was able to get set up without disturbing the Hawk (before sunrise and multiple bushes, trees, to conceal myself behind).

I was ready and this time, I had MUCH better light conditions coming. I waited for the golden sun light to creep over the tree tops behind me. Soon as the light hit the Hawk, the colors just popped. I was and am very happy with these. Like the other day, the Hawk stayed in this spot for a couple of hours and thus no Kite shots again, but I have tons of images to go through of this Hawk posing on this perch in various forms of light, from early morning Golden light, to late morning light, to mid day light. It is amazing how different things look in different light.

Anyway, hope you enjoy these. These past few days has been the only time that I WISHED the Hawk would fly away so that another species could come in!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

All taken with a D300, 600VR, 1.4tc, tripod mounted (of course:eek:)

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Did you say your lens was for sale? :biggrin: :wink: :wink:

I think I could buy it if I could pry it out of your dead cold hands!

Well done,

note to all, just kidding, Jason will never sell this lens, he definitely knows how to manipulate it correctly for these outstanding shots.

Wow! That is some awesome light and beautiful photos.
Thnks Rich...it was a great morning to be shooting.

Great shots, Jason. The color and sharpness are outstanding!

-Bill
Thank you Bill, apprciate your reply.

Geez dude did you shoot him and glue him to the perch? Holy Crap! These shots ROCK!
Thanks Rich...someone would have thought it was glued down due to how long it sits there! Each monring on average it sits there over 2 hours. Plenty of time to get all the images one would want.

Wow! Great shots! Crisp and oh, the light!
Thanks Alex, appreciate it.

Great light, great capture, Jason.
Thanks Oren...

Did you say your lens was for sale? :biggrin: :wink: :wink:

I think I could buy it if I could pry it out of your dead cold hands!

Well done,

note to all, just kidding, Jason will never sell this lens, he definitely knows how to manipulate it correctly for these outstanding shots.
Hey buddy...body parts will be sold before this thing has got to go! :biggrin::wink:

The more I shoot with it, the more in love I get with the 600VR:Love:, but more importantly, the better I become using it. There was/is a learning curve to these big lens. You will remember when I first got it was frustrated with my results. Glad I stuck with it.:smile: Thanks for the reply buddy...and no...you can't buy it!

Beautiful image... and really sweet light. Great job!
Thanks, really appreciate the reply.

Jason what a super series. Love the light you got and such detail in the the hawk. A big congratulations.
Thanks Jim. I am going to pick two out of these whole series for my portfolio...I tend to favor #1, the second choice is going to be harder. I have never had such a chance at a Hawk on a clean perch in wonderful light. I was lucky that it stayed around and I got some equally nice shots in more "white" light.

Outstanding Jason! I knew these were coming and you have hit a home run
with this series. That #3 is a killer shot,HONEY I have a few more that need printed and framed:biggrin::wink:

Outstanding Jason! I knew these were coming and you have hit a home run
with this series. That #3 is a killer shot,HONEY I have a few more that need printed and framed:biggrin::wink:
No prints for a while, well not after last weeks order:biggrin:. That and I am saving for a few more pieces of equipment (toys) that I need (want:wink:). Thanks for the reply...it was a great morning.

Lovely shots!! What else is there to say!
Thanks Andreas...appreciate it.

Jason these are fantastic shots, color, detail and composure all on the excellent scale.
Thanks Louis, I am very happy with them. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom