Rte 109 Red Tail hawk today

Discussion in 'Birds' started by BostonRott, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Saw one of the hawks again today, different tree (lower/closer, but more obscured by branches). The soaring shots were tough, shooting directly into the sun, but trying to capture detail underneath the bird.

D200, 300mm f/5, 1/750sec +0.3EV ISO200 hand held out car window

These soaring shots are 2 different "laps" almost directly over my car and I dialed in +0.7EV
    View attachment 86842

View attachment 86843

I'm thinking I need to take another load of stuff to storage, to see if he's back! :biggrin:

2. Well Done on a very pretty bird

3. Thank you Gary, you're kind! :smile: I really get excited when I see one of these guys sitting over there as I haul more stuff to storage. I think there are 2 distinct birds (based on chest markings) and this is the one I had been seeing earlier.

Neither of them much seem to like their photos being taken, I get in about 5 shots and then they take off. :rolleyes:

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great birdie you got there:>)))

5. Thank you Gale! I was so happy to see one again, it's been about 2 weeks since I last saw one there. :smile:

6. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Very nice Gretchen. I like the feather detail on your flight shots. Like you said, it isn't easy to do in those conditions.

7. WOW! Gretchen, nice shootin! Wish I could go with ya to storage - I'd help carry something - like your camera? LOL keep em comin!

8. WildBill

WildBill

Mar 20, 2006
    Hammonton, New Jersey
    Bill
    Great job with the light, Gretchen! The detail is very good!

Bill

9. Thank you Chris. :smile:

Believe it or not, we have 2 RT's flying over my neighborhood today, screeching for all they're worth. Too bad they're up so high!! :wink:

Thanks Dianne! I think we're *just* about done stuffing things into storage.....soon the house goes on the market (yay!).

Thank you Bill! :smile:

10. great flight shots

11. Thank you Mike! I find these guys to be just gorgeous when they soar over-head. Hopefully the thermals are frequent this summer!! :smile: