Rufous Fantail

I'm quite happy that I got these as I have been trying to get photos of the Rufous Fantail for quite some time but never had the opportunity. They are a beautiful little bird probably a bit smaller than a house sparrow with a gorgeous fan tail. I have found them difficult to get photos of as they rarely sit still, rarely in good light and rarely in an area to get a clean shot. It was quite by chance that this guy was so caught up in chasing his dinner of small insects on the forest floor and he was quite oblivious to my presence. However, the big draw back was that is was in very dark undergrowth, but still flitted about a lot and with quite sudden movements and thus the AFing was difficult as was the balance of shutter speed and ISO.

Unfortunately, very high ISO exacerbated by the fact I had auto ISO set and it was set to a maximum ISO6400 so, the shots were underexposed by about 1.5 stops, meaning an ISO of about 18,000 or so. These are also cropped by about 25%. Noise reduction by Noiseware.

Rufous Fantail

Z7II + 500 f5.6 PF, 1/250s f/5.6 at 500.0mm iso6400

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

original.jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Tough shooting conditions! But you got some very nice photos anyway!!!! And looks like you nailed focus on the eye! Really a cute little bird! FWIW....ON my D5 and D850, I have the max ISO set very, very high. My thought is I'd rather have a chance of getting a shot I can process instead of not getting the shot. Today's NR s/w is so good, I've gotten "acceptable" images as high as ISO 12,800 to 32,000 on the D5.

Great pictures of an extraordinary bird.

Well shot
Klaus

Thank you very much, Klaus. Your comments are very much appreciated!
Wow...beautiful little bird. The last shot for me is the best: great feather detail; tail feathers in focus. Nicely done.

Thank you very much, Bob. Your comments and appraisal are very much appreciated!
Lance, these are great. I love the pose in #1.

Thank you very much, Mitchell. Your comments and apprasisal are very much appreciated!
Beautiful catch Lance.
This bird looks very small !
Colors and details gorgeous. 👍

Thank you very much, Bob. Your comments and appraisal are very much appreciated!
Nice set, Lance. Beautiful looking little bird. You did well under the conditions.

Thank you very much, Dan! Your comments and appraisal are very much appreciated!
You did well. Cute little bird. You did well in your processing.

Thank you very much, Allan. Your comments and appraisal are very much appreciated!

Tough shooting conditions! But you got some very nice photos anyway!!!! And looks like you nailed focus on the eye! Really a cute little bird! FWIW....ON my D5 and D850, I have the max ISO set very, very high. My thought is I'd rather have a chance of getting a shot I can process instead of not getting the shot. Today's NR s/w is so good, I've gotten "acceptable" images as high as ISO 12,800 to 32,000 on the D5.

Thank you very much, Karen. Your comments and appraisal are very much appreciated!
I have now upped my max ISO. 😊
Lance - Nice shots for the shooting background. I really enjoyed taking a peek at them.

Thank you very much, John. Your comments are very much appreciated!
Beauties Lance. This little guy has amazing camouflage going on. (y)

Thank you very much, Rick. Your comments are very much appreciated!
Persevere and overcome! Beautiful photos! :wideyed:

Thank you very much, Wile E. Coyote. Your comments are very much appreciated!
Beautiful! What an extraordinary looking bird! Well done on the images.

Thank you very much, Mike. Your comments and appraisal are very much appreciated!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom