Ruins of SE Utah

Real Name
Alvin
I've always wanted to hike some of the canyons in SE Utah and
explore the ancestral Puebloan ruins of the area.

Rodney (hotrod4x5) was helpful in advising me on a couple of
the iconic ruins in the area.

I had no idea what to expect on the hikes, but it turned out
that the hiking is relatively easy and quite popular.

The first location is in South Mule Canyon, House on Fire
ruins.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

When we were there, we encountered quite a few visitor, maybe
around 30 people came and went.

The second iconic ruin in the area is Fallen Roof ruins, my
favorite from the hike. It's in Road Canyon.

Another popular hike, we encounted maybe a dozen people.

Thanks for checking out my thread.

Also related thread.

Alvin

Last edited by a moderator:
very interesting area and color. thank you for sharing. seems like someone
build a shelter underneath rock formation.

Real Name
Alvin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
very interesting area and color. thank you for sharing. seems like someone
build a shelter underneath rock formation.
Great observation David. :smile:

Cedar Mesa has a wealth of places to explore. I had fun indulging my
inner Indiana Jones.

These were relatively easy to access.

Wonderful ruins and super pictures.
Thanks Art.

Great set!
Appreciate your comment Rob.

Great set, so dramatic and surrealistic and well shot...!

Must have been a fun time, thanks for sharing...! :smile:
Thanks William. It was really fun for me. No matter how much research
I did and info I received (thanks Rodney - hotrod4x5) it's hard to know
what you'll actually encounter.

Great results.
Thanks truronion.

Very impressive shots, Alvin!
Always appreciate your comments KP.

Great and daring pictures, looks like the roof is about to come down again.
Nico
Yes, Fallen Roof is appropriately named. You have to scramble a little bit
to access the site, but it's good sandstone with good grip.

Thanks Nico.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Really excellent compositions! Very well done! I'm adding these locations to my file on Utah......

BTW - the link to another thread doesn't work...

Now, that is a great looking series, what an interesting place to visit. Last time I was in ruins like that was in the 60's. My brother and I climbed all over the ruins, and hop scotched around a ruin to the the sun god. Today with all the Nat'l Park rangers even a kid would be/might be arrested for jumping around the perimeter of that ruin like we did.

Today with all the Nat'l Park rangers even a kid would be/might be arrested for jumping around the perimeter of that ruin like we did.
And probably should...it's a shame to see the damage that has been done to some of the ruins as well as some of the geological wonders in the Southwest from tourists. After I left Arches National Park, someone decided to take their truck off-road. They drove over areas where it took plants decades to grow in that environment. Now, it's a bunch of tire tracks.

I really wanted to visit Fallen Roof Ruin. But, I went in the winter and there were very few people there. In fact, I was the only one there when I took my scouting drive to the "parking lot". I planned to hike to the ruin early the next morning, but the rain was making the dirt road very muddy and there was a good chance that my car would get stuck a few miles from the main road. Also, the dirt road going out to the parking lot is very, very narrow--so narrow that two vehicles would not be able to pass each other for long sections of the road. I will be back one day!

Glenn

Real Name
Alvin
Great pics! I've seen many from these places and taken many myself, but you managed to capture a few angles I've never seen. Well done.
Thanks Rod! Thanks for helping me locate these spots. It looks like you revived this thread, it's from 2013!

Wow; those are cool. Very nice, Alvin!
Thanks Lyndee.

Really excellent compositions! Very well done! I'm adding these locations to my file on Utah......

BTW - the link to another thread doesn't work...
Thanks Karen. This thread is a couple of years old so the link may have changed. I think they were shots from "The Wave"
I think used to link to this thread.

Hey Alvin, I know this place. Nice shootin..
I think you know all the great places! Thanks.

Amazing pics Alvin. Something unique.
Thanks warth man!

Now, that is a great looking series, what an interesting place to visit. Last time I was in ruins like that was in the 60's. My brother and I climbed all over the ruins, and hop scotched around a ruin to the the sun god. Today with all the Nat'l Park rangers even a kid would be/might be arrested for jumping around the perimeter of that ruin like we did.
Different times for sure, I was the same way when I was a kid.

The rangers probably have their hands full trying to keep everything protected. I think our parks are national treasures and should be taken care of by everyone.

And probably should...it's a shame to see the damage that has been done to some of the ruins as well as some of the geological wonders in the Southwest from tourists. After I left Arches National Park, someone decided to take their truck off-road. They drove over areas where it took plants decades to grow in that environment. Now, it's a bunch of tire tracks.

I really wanted to visit Fallen Roof Ruin. But, I went in the winter and there were very few people there. In fact, I was the only one there when I took my scouting drive to the "parking lot". I planned to hike to the ruin early the next morning, but the rain was making the dirt road very muddy and there was a good chance that my car would get stuck a few miles from the main road. Also, the dirt road going out to the parking lot is very, very narrow--so narrow that two vehicles would not be able to pass each other for long sections of the road. I will be back one day!

Glenn
Too bad about the off road driving in the national park. It is a shame to see that kind of abuse our parks take by a few people.

Fallen Roof ruins is well worth the visit. Winter time is certainly a challenge. I would not want to drive on that dirt road when it's wet. Were you driving your Prius?

Knowing how you take your road trips, you'll probably be there this spring. I'd love to see your take on the ruins. It's really fun to visit Fallen Roof, you feel a little bit like Indiana Jones. As you walk through the wash, the anticipation after every bend of the pathway is so enticing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad about the off road driving in the national park. It is a shame to see that kind of abuse our parks take by a few people.

Fallen Roof ruins is well worth the visit. Winter time is certainly a challenge. I would not want to drive on that dirt road when it's wet. Were you driving your Prius?

Knowing how you take your road trips, you'll probably be there this spring. I'd love to see your take on the ruins. It's really fun to visit Fallen Roof, you feel a little bit like Indiana Jones. As you walk through the wash, the anticipation after every bend of the pathway is so enticing.
Yes...I drove back there with my Prius. I then planned to arrive at the ruins the next morning...but when it was raining when I woke up. I tested the dirt road, but quickly realized that I would end up getting stuck. A few days later, I did get stuck at Chaco for an extra day due to deep mud.

Fallen Roof ruins fascinate me. You've done a great job capturing the ruins.

Glenn

Real Name
Alvin
I've been to fallen roof twice. Your photos make me want to go back.
Reviving this thread makes me want to go back! Thanks Rodney.

Yes...I drove back there with my Prius. I then planned to arrive at the ruins the next morning...but when it was raining when I woke up. I tested the dirt road, but quickly realized that I would end up getting stuck. A few days later, I did get stuck at Chaco for an extra day due to deep mud.

Fallen Roof ruins fascinate me. You've done a great job capturing the ruins.

Glenn
That Prius is an amazing car.

Fallen Roof is pretty special. The roof with it's water stain along with the ruins, hand prints combine to make it a unique location.

I look forward to seeing your eventual images.

Thanks Glenn.

Alvin

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom