Rules can be broken? (Serious critique)

Discussion in 'People' started by cwilt, Oct 26, 2005.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    No eye contact with camera on this one. Does this image work while breaking the rules?
    [​IMG]

2. That's really nice. I think it works very well. Perhaps it conveys a mood rather than a character.

3. Not for me. The face is too flat because of the angle and it lacks life that comes from the eyes. Just my thoughts. One thing it does do is give the feeling of depth to the image. I like that part of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2005
  4. I don't have a problem with the "lack of eyes" but think it might work better if it weren't so tight.

5. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Which rule? Seriously, photography is about communication, not about rules. Feel free to break any "rule" because they simply don't exist except as a constraint of your own imagination.

Nice image by the way, but you should polish the high-key appearance a little more. Looks kind of uninspiring as of now.

6. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Can you explain this a little further. Thanks.

7. nfoto

nfoto Guest

High-key is an approach in which the image basically is rendered in soft, light tones, sometimes almost whitish. The opposite of low-key which is dark and sombre.

Here the light tones (hair) are dull and her face is greyish, hence my remark. Suggest you make the entire image a bit brighter and more contrasty so the eyelashes (the main point of interest here) stand out better.

8. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Thanks Bjorn. Now I see what you are saying. :wink:

9. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I've been back to look at this image several times - which says something about it :smile: I think the only problem with it is the low contrast.

10. I like this image a lot. How many images must we make that fit within some narrow ideal?

This image conveys something more than "beautiful young girl."

That is just my taste. I like photographs that capture life, not poses.

11. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I like this, but I wonder how it might look in color...I wonder if skin tones might give it more feeling. I agree that it appears a bit "flat" currently, but not to the point where I don't care for the picture. If you decide to re-work it PP, please share your results with us.

12. A tad more DOF required I reckon. The hair is crisp, the eyelashes spot on the nose and chin are just a bit too soft. Personally I don't think more contrast would add more to the image - I like the almost "washed" feel to it all.

Other than that it really works well. A really nice look and feel about it.

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
  14. I like the mood of the photo, the expression and the feelings that it invokes in me. I think that many times we look for the perfect photo, but the story that it tells is really what makes or breaks a picture. The story that I see warms my heart.

Thanks for breaking the rules!

Mike

15. I agree with Bjorn's comments about re-adjusting the high key look...you might want to also think about upping the ISO to get some grain that's often used in high key processing.

Also - I don't really like the crop. I think recomposing the shot so it's not so tight would enhance it...at least for me.

16. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Just updated it. Its a little better, but not where it should be. More practice needed. :smile:

Thanks for the critiques. They are much appreciated. :wink:

17. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    What rule is that? Seriously? Is there a rule that says you need eye contact with the camera?

Seriously?

No wonder everyone always hates my photos - My subjects almost never have eye contact with the camera:
    http://www.ximinasphotography.com/galleries/thumbnails.php?album=27