Rumor posted at KR.com... Nikon MX?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mad Hatter, Sep 19, 2008.

1. OK, sorry for yet another KR thread. If one exists on this topic feel free to hit me with a bat.

I know KR can be weird (don't bother with a tripod, shoot your D80 at iso 1600 and 1/8 of a second!) but he does seem to have someone who feeds him info. He was dead on about the D700.

If for some odd reason does pan out is there a possiblity that you would be able to use existing nikon lenses on this supposed MF body?

2. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    No, Nikon's f-mount lenses won't cover medium format MX.

3. PDuany

PDuany

Aug 10, 2005
    NH
    There are several threads kicking around here discussing this. Here is one

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=186443

Without getting into a discussion of the quality of the source, they way I read that quote is he is making a wild guess, then qualifying it with what he would buy.

Personally I would be highly surprised if they did come out with a new printer. And if they did there are a host of other shows where that type of announcement would make more sense from a business perspective. If it is a new printer my guess it would a re-badged offering from some of the more established names in the field. But Hey what do I know, I am guessing as much as I think Ken is.

I hope he is wrong, the wide format field these days is a cut throat field and populated with well established big name companies. Doing their own printer would be a big distraction, just when they seem to be getting their imaging products picking up steam in the marketplace.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. Ahh... right. I guess it would be like trying to use a DX lens on a D3. Sorry for being obtuse, I don't really know that much about MF.

5. A-h-h, it's just another circle of confusion!:biggrin:

6. AllenOwen

AllenOwen

Aug 14, 2008
    Houston,TX
  7. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    So I'm assuming that an MX format would have a larger opening than the traditional F-Mount. Couldn't they have a converter that would still accept F-Mount lenses? And if so, how much would that degrade the image?

8. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    MX is quite a bit bigger than FX, more so than FX being bigger than DX. As far as I know, only Nikon's 85mm primes can cover the MX image circle.

9. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    That is - if the MX rumors are true. If they are, than Nikon has (in my opinion) horribly bet on the wrong horse (development of anything in the camera industry takes years, especially an entire new system). Up to a year ago it seemed that insane mega pixels where all the rage. The MF market with their $10,000+ backs certainly seems, margin-wise, an interesting market.

Right now the consumers in the more expensive market segment have enough of those megapixels (at least the bloggers are, but I think that they form a good indicator of the consumers) and the big race for the "APS-C Compact" (Sigma DP-1, Micro 4/3, etc) seems to be on. Not that the MF market is not interesting, but the APS-C compacts are where the fireworks will be for the next year (sayonara, Canon G-series!) in my eyes.

I hate to see Nikon's horse racing out of the wrong gate and Nikons "BIG" announcement could really be anything (although "big" seems more to indicate size than significance), so I'll just wait and see.

10. And look how easily it confused me, heh. That's what you get when you post when you're tired I suppose.

In a way, I must respectfully disagree sir.

Yes, we've got enough MP's. But as I see it one of the advantages to MF would be the larger sensor. I would love to get a wide angle lens that could preform the way my 50mm prime does. I've briefly played with the 14-24 and while it is many things it still doesn't trump a 50mm prime in IQ, contrast, colour and resistance to flare. On medium format 50mm is wide. That would be a huge advantage. I've been watching ebay for a cheap used MF system for that reason. That and I love the look of velvia.

Until the D3 there were so many pros who shot 1D's over nikon. Wedding photogs, published landscape guys, sports shooters. That may not sound like a big deal, and when you look at it directly it isn't. Sales of pro gear are minuscule compared to point and shoots and entry level dslrs. But look what guys like Galen Rowell did for Nikon's profile. A person just starting out in photography may find that their favourite shooter uses a nikon MX camera and by more inclined to pick up a D60 instead of an XTI. There was a saying in the automobile industry, race on sunday, sell on monday. When you look at the bottom line it doesn't make much sense for chrysler to build the Viper. But the for every Viper sold it helps up the profile of the company and they in turn sell more neons. MF was the dominant format for a long time maybe nikon thinks that it's time for a comeback of sorts. I can only guess that nikon could get a MF digital body on the street for around $8000. If you were looking to get into a 1DMkIII why wouldn't you consider medium if there were nikon MF digitals for around the same price? Look at all the folks who jumped to the D3 despite having tens of thousands of dollars worth of canon glass. Even though you have to know that canon will eventually equal or better the performance of the D3.

I totally agree that there will be fireworks in the P+S market with companies trying to get a DX sized sensor into cheap compact easy to use point and shoots. But a killer medium format digital system would create buzz the same way the viper helped chrysler sell neons.

Ahh, it's probably all just smoke anyway. First Ken was sure that MX was a printer, now he's saying it's a medium format 6X6 with a 120/220 back. He clearly doesn't know and is just speculating just as we are.

11. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    To those critics who are so pessimistic about our Nikon MX, I say, Don't be girlie men!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.