1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Rumor ?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Takeda, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Takeda

Takeda

Jun 9, 2006
    Durham, NC
    I heard something that I find hard to believe. Has anybody ever heard that Tamron makes some lenses that Nikkor puts their name on? I think this is
    a terrible rumor!!

2. AFAIK the AF-D 70-300 is pretty much the same as Tamron 70-300....

3. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    The older 70-300G ED was speculated to be sourced from Tamron, and the design did have a number of very Tamron-ish design cues. That one got replaced by the 70-300 VR while the $120 70-300G (non-ED) is still offered.

4. I believe all the major makers of optical glass, lenses, and cameras use each other as sources. The stepper motors in the Canon OS lenses are Nikon's.

5. spyder57

spyder57

May 26, 2006
    Why is this a terrible rumor? It happens all the time in industry...why is it a huge surprise to you?

6. That rumor floated around the I-net for a long time with all kinds of hearsay, speculation, and no empirical substantiation. Basically the argument was since the elements and groupings were the same, and the ED glass was in the same spot, then they must be made by the same folks. Final score...Flawed logic 1...actual proof 0. I have nothing against the concept (I like third party lens offereings...some more than the Nikon offerings), but people seem to accept these contentions waaaay to easily.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.