Rumored FX Nikon Z5 to be announced next week

If anyone missed the latest rumors:
https://nikonrumors.com/2020/07/17/updated-nikon-z5-specifications.aspx/
https://nikonrumors.com/2020/07/16/...nd-2-0x-teleconverters-coming-next-week.aspx/

Rumored specs:
  • 24.3 MP full-frame sensor (not sure BSI or not)
  • 5-axis image stabilization
  • Hybrid AF system with 273 focus points
  • Eye detection AF compatible with animals
  • 4.5 frames/sec
  • 4k video
  • 1.7x video crop in 4k, no SloMo option
  • ISO: 100-51,200
  • 369,000 dot EVF
  • 3.2 inch 1.1 million dot touch panel tilt LCD
  • Dustproof and weatherproof
  • Dual SD UHS-II memory card slots
  • Nikon EN-EL15C battery (already registered online)
  • Magnesium alloy camera body
  • USB-C camera powering, not just charging
  • Slightly smaller than the Z6
  • No top panel LCD
  • The modes dial is moved to where the top LCD screen is on the Z6/Z7
  • The camera will start shipping later this year
  • The price is not confirmed yet, but it should be between the Z50 ($856.95) and the Z6 ($1,796.95) - my guess is around $1,400 with the Nikkor Z 24-50mm f/4-6.3 kit lens.

So it looks like it borrows many specs from the Z6, but in a cheaper, less featured body. The mechanical FPS and video specs don't look amazing, but they kept most of the good things like 5-axis IBIS, nice EVF and EN-EL15C battery, etc. This camera or even a used Z6 will be nice budget options. I'm sure the kit lens will be sharp, but Nikon and Canon really like these slow apertures at the long end with their Z and RF lenses!

Last edited:
I'm waiting to see how much smaller and lighter it actually is, and how many features of the Z6 are sacrificed. High frame rate and super good video are not important to me. If it retains most of the rest of the Z6 features and is significantly smaller and lighter I could be interested.

Real Name
Andrew
I'm waiting to see how much smaller and lighter it actually is, and how many features of the Z6 are sacrificed. High frame rate and super good video are not important to me. If it retains most of the rest of the Z6 features and is significantly smaller and lighter I could be interested.
Pa, it does appear to only have the slower fps and cropped video.

As a stills camera, it very well may appeal to a lot of people.

Real Name
Paul
If it retains most of the rest of the Z6 features and is significantly smaller and lighter I could be interested.
I don't think the Z6/7 are particularly big or heavy. There's very little in it, for example, with the m43 E-M1ii/iii or the Panasonic G9. With the latest mirrorless FF, the problem is the lenses, not the bodies.

Real Name
Andrew
I agree, but every little bit helps.
the issue for some of us is that sometime the bodies can be too small. I had to get a bottom plate for the Z6 for it to be comfortable. All my mirrorless cameras have grips on them because they are too small or less ergonomic. If the Z5 is much smaller than the Z6/Z7 just the size of it could be a prominent issue for a lot of potential buyers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dual SD card slots. Some will want that.
This is a big one for me. I'm running Transcend 32GB UHS-II SD cards in my Sony A7III and they're not the fastest UHS-II cards, but fast enough. I've never had any buffer issues on my Sony, plus it has about an 89 raw compressed buffer when shooting 12-bit. The Transcend 32GB cards can be purchased for about $32 USD and the 64GB cards about $56 USD. This was also a big reason why I didn't switch out my D750 bodies. If the Z50 has dual UHS-II cards and an EN-EL15C battery, I can swap one of my D750 bodies and essentially keep the same battery and media format workflow.

The Z6/7 are a good weight for me. I find being too light can be hard to hold still. I would prefer lighter lenses.
The Z50 might not be much smaller than the Z6. If they're fitting the EN-EL15 battery, it probably will be of similar size or maybe smaller if they get rid of the top LCD. Plus the Z50 has a nice grip and that body is small. Ergonomics is something Nikon seems to nail. My guess is this body is being made at their Thailand factory, while the Z6S/Z7S will still be made in Japan, hence Nikon's ability to lower production costs.

Last edited:
This is a big one for me. I'm running Transcend 32GB UHS-II SD cards in my Sony A7III and they're not the fastest UHS-II cards, but fast enough. I've never had any buffer issues on my Sony, plus it has about an 89 raw compressed buffer when shooting 12-bit. The Transcend 32GB cards can be purchased for about $32 USD and the 64GB cards about $56 USD. This was also a big reason why I didn't switch out my D750 bodies. If the Z50 has dual UHS-II cards and an EN-EL15C battery, I can swap one of my D750 bodies and essentially keep the same battery and media format workflow.

The Z50 might not be much smaller than the Z6. If they're fitting the EN-EL15 battery, it probably will be of similar size or maybe smaller if they get rid of the top LCD. Plus the Z50 has a nice grip and that body is small. Ergonomics is something Nikon seems to nail. My guess is this body is being made at their Thailand factory, while the Z6S/Z7S will still be made in Japan, hence Nikon's ability to lower production costs.
I take it you mean Z5 Jonathan? It will definitely be interesting to learn the true specs but, as I still prefer my D750/500 to the handling of the Z cameras, it's probably academic to me. What I really want is a Nikon Q or even a Monochrom.

the issue for some of us is that sometime the bodies can be too small.
The Z6/7 are a good weight for me. I find being too light can be hard to hold still.
Different strokes for different folks. I have arthritis in my neck, and now in one shoulder. Carrying my Z6 + 24-70 in a sling bag, which is my preferred method, leads to pain pretty soon.

But I agree I'm an exception. 78 years old and 140 lbs.

Real Name
Andrew
Different strokes for different folks. I have arthritis in my neck, and now in one shoulder. Carrying my Z6 + 24-70 in a sling bag, which is my preferred method, leads to pain pretty soon.

But I agree I'm an exception. 78 years old and 140 lbs.
You are a skinny mini. lol

I'm a bit bigger 6'1" and 225lbs. :)

I can't do sling bags for much either, shoulder pain kicks in. backpacks with waist straps for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I use a sling bag, but I only carry one camera and maybe an extra lens. I also use neoprene straps to absorb the weight load of my camera. Though lately when I go light, I just carry my Nikon 1 J5!

Real Name
Andrew
I use a sling bag, but I only carry one camera and maybe an extra lens. I also use neoprene straps to absorb the weight load of my camera. Though lately when I go light, I just carry my Nikon 1 J5!
how is the rear lcd in Bright sun on the J5? One of my biggest issues with rear lcd is shooting in sunlight and not having a clearview. I’ve never used a 1 series before, but they do interest me from time to time. Especially now with used market prices.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom