Rumours of a Nikon leak

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by caero, Aug 18, 2005.

1. caero

caero Guest

Supposedly someone at chasseur d'Images was lucky enough to catch a Nikon leak of the d200 specifications on the nikon imaging website before they took it down again. I don't know how credible that story is but none the less here at the specs he/she found:

http://www.infodigitalcamera.com/blog/15/d200-specification-2/

What do you guys think?

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Looks to me too much like a copy of some of the D2X specs.

3. caero

caero Guest

I agree.

Everything seems the same except for the FPS and the Body size/built.

4. As I read the info I also kept thinking D2X.

It will be interesting to see what it is, when and if it arrives.

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. caero

caero Guest

I didn't

I wouldn't mind if Nikon would soon give us an idea how much this thing is going to cost.

7. I don't see how Nikon could produce a smaller D2X for less than half the price of a D2X. Having the most expensive components in common would make this something of a miracle.

I would however be more than happy and would buy one. :)

8. If the rumored specs and price point of the D200 are accurate (and yes, only time will tell), I suspect there will quite a few of us considering selling our D2x to be replaced by the new model.

The analogy that makes sense to me is F5 vs. F100. I never needed the vertical grip or faster frame rate of the F5, and for me the D200 would likewise be the more desirable camera compared to my D2x.

Of course it's always possible that other features will be lacking in the D200......but as of the present rumors, it looks like a winner if priced in the $2500 - $3000 range.

Best wishes,

David

9. Hey, cut that out, David. Nikon might be reading this thread, and decide to raise the price.

Mr. Nikon, if your objective is to introduce a high volume mid range dslr so you can sell lots of expensive, high profit glass, $1,999.95 is the perfect price point!

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Uh, ...
    "Sensitivity - ISO equivalency 100 to 800"

Looks like the D100 will continue to be the nite-shot champ.

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Chris,

If the D200 actually is limited to 100-800 isn't it likely that they will also have the Hi-1 and Hi-2 like the D2X? If so, aren't these just as good? I'm not being facetious. I really don't know.

I was thinking that they are doing this to make auto ISO work better (max ISO of 800). Does this even make sense??

12. LOL, UF......I know what you mean, sometimes we shouldn't speak too loudly.

But I suspect Nikon knows pretty darn well what price point they will peg the new camera at. And it's ALWAYS higher than what we'd wish, and what is predicted. Remember when the rumors for the D2x were saying it would come in at $3499 and not a penny more?? Many many people believed that rumor, and the actual price was a real shock. Nikon relies on the shock dissipating in the face of desire and demand. So....I actually think the D200 will be pegged initially at $3199.

Sorry.

Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong.

Best wishes,

David

13. caero

caero Guest

I wonder what this means:

"New image processing algorithms combine with optimized analog and digital white balance to produce smoother, more consistent gradations with exceptionally pure color reproduction"

improved DR or better signal to noise ratio?

14. Neither. That language is a minor rewording straight out of the D2x literature:

http://www.nikonusa.com/fileuploads/pdfs/D2X.pdf

All it means is that Nikon is processing image data the best it knows how, and relying on a hybrid WB sensor system.

Best wishes,

David

15. When a business introduces a new product like the D200, they can go two routes on pricing:

1. Cherry pick-(called price skimming)- price the model as high as they think it will sell and make maximum profit on those who just have to have all of the newest stuff. Then lower the price when sales slow down. I don't think this would be a good strategy since the competition for this camera has already been "leaked".

2. Maximum sales (Penetration pricing) setting a low price and grab as much of the market share as possible to reduce competition. With all of the accessories available for these cameras, this would be a good strategy.

16. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi david-

i'll trade you a d200 for your d2x ;)

ricky

17. Hi Ricky,

Thanks for the kind offer! 8)

Once you have your D200 in hand, we'll talk about the necessary price adjustments. :wink:

Best wishes,

David