Rumours of a Nikon leak

C

caero

I agree.

Everything seems the same except for the FPS and the Body size/built.

C

caero

I didn't

I wouldn't mind if Nikon would soon give us an idea how much this thing is going to cost.

I don't see how Nikon could produce a smaller D2X for less than half the price of a D2X. Having the most expensive components in common would make this something of a miracle.

I would however be more than happy and would buy one. :)

If the rumored specs and price point of the D200 are accurate (and yes, only time will tell), I suspect there will quite a few of us considering selling our D2x to be replaced by the new model.

The analogy that makes sense to me is F5 vs. F100. I never needed the vertical grip or faster frame rate of the F5, and for me the D200 would likewise be the more desirable camera compared to my D2x.

Of course it's always possible that other features will be lacking in the D200......but as of the present rumors, it looks like a winner if priced in the $2500 - $3000 range.

Best wishes,

David

David Fink said:
...it looks like a winner if priced in the $2500 - $3000 range.

Hey, cut that out, David. Nikon might be reading this thread, and decide to raise the price.

Mr. Nikon, if your objective is to introduce a high volume mid range dslr so you can sell lots of expensive, high profit glass, $1,999.95 is the perfect price point!

Chris,

If the D200 actually is limited to 100-800 isn't it likely that they will also have the Hi-1 and Hi-2 like the D2X? If so, aren't these just as good? I'm not being facetious. I really don't know.

I was thinking that they are doing this to make auto ISO work better (max ISO of 800). Does this even make sense??

Uncle Frank said:
David Fink said:
...it looks like a winner if priced in the $2500 - $3000 range.

Hey, cut that out, David. Nikon might be reading this thread, and decide to raise the price.

Mr. Nikon, if your objective is to introduce a high volume mid range dslr so you can sell lots of expensive, high profit glass, $1,999.95 is the perfect price point!

LOL, UF......I know what you mean, sometimes we shouldn't speak too loudly.

But I suspect Nikon knows pretty darn well what price point they will peg the new camera at. And it's ALWAYS higher than what we'd wish, and what is predicted. Remember when the rumors for the D2x were saying it would come in at $3499 and not a penny more?? Many many people believed that rumor, and the actual price was a real shock. Nikon relies on the shock dissipating in the face of desire and demand. So....I actually think the D200 will be pegged initially at $3199.

Sorry.

Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong.

Best wishes,

David

C

caero

I wonder what this means:

"New image processing algorithms combine with optimized analog and digital white balance to produce smoother, more consistent gradations with exceptionally pure color reproduction"

improved DR or better signal to noise ratio?

caero said:
I wonder what this means:

"New image processing algorithms combine with optimized analog and digital white balance to produce smoother, more consistent gradations with exceptionally pure color reproduction"

improved DR or better signal to noise ratio?

Neither. That language is a minor rewording straight out of the D2x literature:

http://www.nikonusa.com/fileuploads/pdfs/D2X.pdf

All it means is that Nikon is processing image data the best it knows how, and relying on a hybrid WB sensor system.

Best wishes,

David

When a business introduces a new product like the D200, they can go two routes on pricing:

1. Cherry pick-(called price skimming)- price the model as high as they think it will sell and make maximum profit on those who just have to have all of the newest stuff. Then lower the price when sales slow down. I don't think this would be a good strategy since the competition for this camera has already been "leaked".

2. Maximum sales (Penetration pricing) setting a low price and grab as much of the market share as possible to reduce competition. With all of the accessories available for these cameras, this would be a good strategy.

fks

hi david-

i'll trade you a d200 for your d2x ;)

ricky

David Fink said:
If the rumored specs and price point of the D200 are accurate (and yes, only time will tell), I suspect there will quite a few of us considering selling our D2x to be replaced by the new model.

fks said:
hi david-

i'll trade you a d200 for your d2x ;)

ricky

David Fink said:

Hi Ricky,

Thanks for the kind offer! 8)

Once you have your D200 in hand, we'll talk about the necessary price adjustments. :wink:

Best wishes,

David

Latest threads

Top Bottom