Rumson Football shooting into the sun

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by mike mac, Sep 9, 2008.

1. I helped shoot three games this Sudnay as a 2nd photgrapher. It was a bluebird sky with blazing sun, I shot the 9:00 10:30 and 12:00 games. The main photog had the sun to his back and I had the other side of the field to maximize coverage, so I was shootign into the sun.

When shooting sports with helmets or masks I enjoy shooting into the sun, it requires opening up but this is easy with the D300 and auto ISO and gives me the ability to still get some nice even light on the faces.
    All shots with the D300 and the 300 2.8 with 1.4 tele
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    #6 D3 with 70-200
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Nicely done mike! I am becoming more of a proponent of shooting into the sun, cropping tight and no worrying to much about the background. Works ok until late in the day...

3. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Mike, these are great. I sure could have used your help last Saturday morning. I had a lot of trouble with the light situation.

4. Geez, the things I could learn from you by just standing next to you for 10 minutes.

Incredible work, as usual.

5. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

Good stuff mike !! Thanks for sharing them !!

6. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Looks like the usual...
    Awesome, outstanding work.

7. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Great stuff Mike. I think I'll have to try shooting into the sun .

8. mike...
    you've brought a lesson to us.... something worth learning, without question

an excellent series... by a guy who knows how to MAXIMIZE HIS YIELD.... NO matter the situation before him

well done, sir

9. Definatly a set to be catalouged in my mind as lessons learned.

10. Wow. I wholeheartedly echo Adrian's comments. Great shots Mike.

Take care,
    Brent

11. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Fantastic shooting Mike, love the way you opened up the faces. Super Sharp!

12. Looking good Mike, wish the weather would cooperate for me. Figure yesterday golf was canceled due to a flooded course, and XC today as it was raining, although I would have loved to have shot a meet, as rain would made things a little more interesting.

13. jamesd3rd

jamesd3rd

May 4, 2007
    So. Cal
    All very nice as usual. Sometimes I'm curious as to what the 100% crop looks like so I can see how you decided to crop the final image.

I noticed you went the D300 again on these. Any particular reason over your D3? What is the reach factor or that these guys don't move as fast so the focusing of the D300 was good enough?

I think after I attend the Strobist seminar in Oct. My next one will the Mike Mac Sports Photography seminar :biggrin:

14. Thanks and by that time we have the sweet less harsh light wihich can make for soem nice shots
    Thanks hope this info helps
    Thanks, for the kidn words
    Thanks
    Thanks Topher
    Thanks Jjeff
    Thansk Wehn it is a requirment to shoot all the kids on the fields I dont alwatys have the luxury of having the usn in the best place possible so this helps
    Thanks Greg
    Thanks Broosk hope it helps

15. Thanks so much brent
    Thanks frank
    Yes I had a few thiongs lined up that were sidlined cause of the weather, hope it clears up for you soon
    Thanks For field sports I will stick to the d300 for the 1.5 crop factor, if I had a 500 or 600 then I could use the D3 for football, LAX or Soccer. So untilI win the lottery I will stick with the D300 for field sports.

16. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Great series , well controlled light and great angles and composition
    I have a noon college game saturday and I hope I can do half as well as these
    thanks for sharing Mike