Running

Being in the military, part of our regiment for work is to run. Now I have logged many miles on my legs but after a while one gets tired of running without a goal. So I have decided to run another half-marathon to get my running legs back and to help trim some weight as well. I have done 2 of these events in the past. My first one was on whim in 2001. My second one was in 2006. On both of those runs, I walked part of the course. I am keeping my fingers crossed that for the one I signed up for in November, I can run the whole distance without walking. My time goal is to come in under 2 hours as well. This should be fun. Training starts today and will go through the race. It will make the Thanksgiving dinner all the more worth it.

If anyone would like to, please share your half-marathon/marathon/ultra-marathon experience. I am sure there are some neat stories out there.

God Bless,
David

As someone who has run over 40 marathons I would say - make sure you get in a long run 10-16 miles every week to 10 days.

Disclosure - I never race nor do I run over 5 miles a day right now. :)

Good luck with your training - I'm a good sprinter but long-distance running kills me. I ran some 10Ks thinking I would be able to condition myself for longer runs, but no dice. I have a great deal of respect (and concern) for the ultra-marathoners!

Sean

Good for you! I'm gradualy getting back (?) to jogging. I did several halfs in the late 90's and up to 2004, before an ankle injury (not running related) stopped me. I need to drop a "few" pounds and I enjoyed running once I took it up at age 45! My first was at at 2:00 exactly! Gradually increase your distance to 10-12 miles and remember the wall comes at about 11!!
I plod most mornings (seismic runs my son called them!) and am longing for the fall and coler weather--I wilt at anything above 50!

I ran my first and only marathon, the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington D.C. in 1980. I'd run regularly (approx 5 miles a day average for twenty years....and yes, I trained properly for the marathon, running a long run once per week and getting in the necessary mileage each week). Messed up my knees. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get 'corrected' by a lot of runners here, but the good Lord did not intend for us to run that far that often for that long ..on pavement; if you run a lot all your life you will most likely wear out your knees by the time you reach old age. Funny, an older colleague at a company I joined just after leaving the military told me the same thing. Of course I knew better; turns out he was right.

I've had orthroscopic surgery for a torn meniscus on both knees, one year apart in 2000-2001. I'm 67 now. I went into see my knee surgeon (he was the Redskins' orthopedic surgeon by coincidence) the last visit on the 2nd knee. As I was preparing to leave he poked it and smiled, looked at me and said "Aren't you glad you don't have three legs?" :eek:

The good news is after trying walking, a treadmill and an exercycle unsuccessfully (more knee pain) at my wife's suggestion I tried an elliptic. Success! I've ridden for 40 minutes ( 500 calories) a day 6 days a week for three years now without any discomfort whatsoever.

Good luck on your endeavor. Get the best shoes you can afford.

Thanks guys. It is neat to read all your stories and tips. I am still getting a schedule together. I had one in 2006. I think I threw it away though. I will get my miles up to double digits in about a month to 5 weeks. Good shoes I already do have. But by the end of this training, I will need to get another pair.

God Bless,
David

I ran two marathons back in the day (late 70's). In those days I was running 40-50 miles per week, including one longer run on weekends. The final miles of both marathons were painful nonetheless. My best marathon time was 3:09.

After the second marathon I developed knee problems. After recovering from that it was on to hip problems. I never got back to marathoning, but now I walk an hour a day (I'm 67).

Some people seem to have better skeletons for running distances. My son, now age 38, has run about 10 marathons and seems to tolerate them well. And Allan, with 40 under his belt, obviously must be very well suited to the sport.

More power to you. Keep a log of your daily distances and listen to your body. A set schedule is great, but not if it runs you into the ground.

Latest threads

Top Bottom