Running!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pbenedic, Mar 13, 2005.

1. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    Just finished marathon #30 last week in Napa, Ca. Marathons are a great reason to travel to neat places. Traveling to neat places is a reason to bring a bunch of photography gear. That's a lot of hard work just to shoot some photos--ha ha!!

Really though, I'm quite hooked on running, but realize that it's not for everyone. At races I usually hand the camera to my wife and she does a pretty stellar job.

2. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    I run, but they are forced runs and no marathon
    distance, I'm talking 2 1/2 mile runs.

3. I ran up my stairs to kitchen just now.....and opened the fridge!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Man I need to get out an exercise. Running would do me some good!! :D :D :D :D :D

4. I used to run; even completed the 1980 Marine Corps Marathon. Then I had torn meniscus surgeries on bot knees 18 months apart. The knee doctor, coincidentally the Redskins knee surgeon said it was because they were worn out.

As he was finishing up my 6 month checkup on the second knee he patted the knee and said "Aren't you glad you don't have three legs?" and smiled grimly. Talk about "sick" humor.

Rich

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Rich :

Urk. That sounds vaguely familiar, but then I wrecked both knees in high school, back in the era where they'd talk about surgery to "lock" a knee to make things "easier". The modern surgeries for knees weren't even a gleam in someone's eyes, and the surgeons would speak of a non-locking operation "going sour" after a few years.

I gave up contact sports, running, downhill skiing (the cause of the worst of the injuries), and decades later now, I can still hike, snowshoe, and climb. The hard jarring of running just doesn't work for me. If I do any kind of lengthy run now, my knees still swell and hurt like the dickens.

As much as I'd like to be able to run - I used to love running - I'm pragmatic enough to want to be able to hike the backcountry when I'm seventy. So far, so good...

John P.

6. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I love running!

I miss running!!

It's why I had my achilles operated on on 22 December and thereby had a ****** Xmas. Long term injury that meant every time I started a running program I'd have to stop within one to two months. Long sessions of physical therapy didn't get anywhere.

So now I've got until about July and HOPEFULLY, I'll be able to start and continue running.

Will probably then need an op on my left achilles. If it comes to that then I think I'll give up in disgust. The pain and frustration of my current op has me reassessing things. :D

Neil

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Pat,

Just saw this thread (getting harder to keep up with all the new members, but that is good....;-)).

I like to run, but I do it now mostly just to get into shape for hiking with my wife Janie. I have run several 10K's, but never even considered a marathon. I'm jut not good enough (or in good enough shape :oops: ).

I used to ride dirt bikes (mostly enduros and hare scrambles). Got pretty good at it, but as I got older and busier at work, I stopped riding. Now I get my outdoor enjoyment and stress relief from day hiking.

We have been to some awesomely beautiful places. I have some pics of our first year of hiking on my smugmug site here:

http://flew.smugmug.com/Hiking

Regards,

Frank