RWBB, Song Sparrow, Misc Ducks ~A Few from Sunday

I finally had a little time to shoot locally yesterday morning and red wing blackbirds and blue birds were the intended subjects.

The red winged blackbirds, song sparrow and some misc. flight shots are the subject of todays post.

All shots are with a D2Xs, Nikon 500 AFSII, both with and without a TC14EII converter. Critique is desired and welcome!

Song Sparrow at dawn:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Red Wing Blackbird on cat tail:

A Wood Duck pair fly by....

A drake green wing teal flyby with not quite enough shutter speed :)

Red Wing Blackbird on a branch a bit later at a different location:

Red Wing Blackbird perched (I opted not to clone out the branch to the left of the bird)

One particular Red Wing had a liking for being down by the water. He was hanging out on various pieces of wood and for a moment the gentle breeze we had subsided and afforded the opportunity for a couple of nice reflection shots:

On the log at the water:

Reflection #1:

Reflection # 2:

I have never seen decent reflections of RWBB before - but you managed to capture these reflections with your masterful eye and use of equipment. Well done Jim, even you takes on an impressive look with its full song. Great stuff, keep up the nice work.

3 comments to go along with all the others.

1. Looking GOOD, REAL Good :biggrin:
2. Might just be my monitor and "morning eyes" here, but the tail in the Song Sparrow looks just a little touch oversharpened to me, I think it is the one bright bit under the tail on the edge that just seems a touch "much". Then again, I could be, and usually am, just plain old full of it :wink:
3. RWBB with the "not cloned" branch. I think you made exactly the right choice. For me the branch adds a nice "inner boundary". And I think it would have looked a touch funny to take it out, as I'm not sure how you could have cleaned up the little "nub" under the birds foot.

Oh, yeah, and for #4, a pair of Flying Wood Ducks, WOW!

Hello Louis

It was my first GWT shot ever and to be totally honest.....I didn't even realize till I got home what it was :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom