S5 Iso3200

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by cwilt, Jul 18, 2007.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Playing around with the out of camera jpg's. Indoors with standard house lighting, 28-70, f2.8 at 1/60th. I think this situation is tough for any camera.

I'm not a jpeg shooter but I think this looks good for OOC.

Sharpening and NR were turned off.
    [​IMG]

600x600 crop
    [​IMG]

2. These are great, but with all the high ISO samles and people being blown away, I think Nikon will have a killer answer.

GenoP

3. Charles

Did you 'push' this exposure so that the R pixels were "used"? This pic looks noisy even for ISO 3200.

Regards
    JohnG

4. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Nikon is going to need more than low noise IMO. I would like an X3 sensor for color detail, with the DR and noise of the fuji, and the resolution, fps, and focus speed of the D2x.

I'll keep dreaming.....

5. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    At 1250 and above the R pixels are not used. No pushing, matrix meter, focus, and shoot. Posted as the camera saw it.

Thats not bad when compared to a D2x in the same situation. I would be curious how the D200 would fare.

6. dpreview has posted a review of the s5 with a direct comparison to the D200 and D30 at high iso if you want to see the results :wink:

7. That looks pretty good to me. The D200 couldn't pull it off.

The 5D is of course still better. A little less noise, and 12 MP of data.

If all Nikon gave me next round is better high ISO and the DR that goes with it, I'd be happy as a clam.

8. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Seen it.:wink:

Personly I don't consider the 5D in the same league as the D200 and S5. It costs nearlly $1k more than the S5. I don't think it has the DR of the S5 either, but I have not tried one.

9. Charles

Where is this documented? I find this really hard to fathom. :confused:

Thanks
    JohnG

10. I would gladly pay an extra $1K for a Nikon camera that handled high ISO (and highlights) as well as the 5D does. Even more than 1K.

11. Agreed. Thise shot with a D2X or a D200 wouldn't even be in the same ballpark. That is comparable to a 800iso shot out of the D2X I had...

My D50 would do pretty good to 1600 though... :biggrin:

12. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    No doubt about it, the 5D does well. The type of shooting I do with a D2x taught me a lot about noise and DR. I can deal well with noise but getting the DR from that same shot is a struggle.

Thats about what I get at 1600 with my D2x with processing. Not an OOC jpeg though. I don't think I have ever shot jpeg with the D2x.

13. Hi Charles

Hmmmmmmmm................ interesting and somewhat dissapointing (if true).

When I owned the S3 I thought I got the best from it when I "pushed" the exposure hard. I will admit however, that I rarely shot above 800 ISO with it.

I'll have to sniff around the Fuji forums a bit and see what's up with this issue. Although I'm not a big high-ISO user, I'd like to understand this a little better. I might pick up a S5 someday. BTW, I'm a BIG fan of the S3/S5 sensor system. :biggrin:

Regards
    JohnG

14. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    John,

My understanding is that the S3 chopped off the R pixels at ISO1000. I could be wrong about that though. I discovered it by mistake actually. Was converting some RAF's with Raw Photo Processor which uses a curve for normal DR camera's. Normally I needed to add about 3ev comp in the software to get close to normal. Then I came across a shot at ISO1250 and it required no eV comp. Stumped me at first. :wink:

I am going to try and tear an RAF apart and see if any info is recorded by the R pixels at high ISO.

15. What I don't get about the D2X is why it remains my favorite digital camera. I mean, the quality of the images. I'll shoot in parallel with the 5D and the X wins.

I assume superior processing in camera. Who knows.

16. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I feel the same way about the X and think that it comes from the analog side of the electronics. There is no way to prove it though.

There is also the feel and the sound of the shutter.

17. SMH77

SMH77

Feb 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Alright, I'll play.

I picked up a S5 Pro as well and have been playing around with it. I shot a couple recently that I'll post here since we're talking about high ISO.

ISO800:

[​IMG]

ISO1600: (shot through heavy zoo glass so the contrast is a little lower than it could have been)

[​IMG]

ISO800:

[​IMG]

The image quality is impressive for sure. I just wish it was a little faster of a camera all around. Certainly not unusable, just a bit of a step down after shooting with the D2Hs for a little while. One things for sure, the D2Hs blows highlights badly and they can't be recovered. The S5 Pro is amazing at either not blowing highlights or recovering them perfectly when they do blow. It is really nice to have the DR parameter to play with in post processing: I first set the proper exposure for the skin tones and then increase the DR to gain back any areas that have blown out, stopping just when the DR is high enough to capture what I'm after. It's really nice...

Sean

18. Sounds reasonable to me.

What the X tells me is that Nikon is capable of building the most extraordinary of digital cameras, and that the popular forgone conclusion that Canon owns the top is going to be proven wrong.

19. I hope you're right. I just wish we could hear something from Nikon to let us know that something was on the horizon. Some news besides all the constant rumors that are always proven to be false.

How about some kind of on-line petition to Nikon asking for info on the next pro body before everyone jumps camp to Canon!!