Sachtler Question

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Raindog, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Raindog

Raindog

Nov 26, 2005
    Asheville, NC
    After much research on various legs I've pretty much settled on the DA-75/2D ENG model from Sachtler. The only problem that I'm having is that the top is a bowl instead of flat mount.

Anyone know if there is an adapter plate offered?

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Manfrotto/Bogen has one, with a standard 3/8" screw for the head on the top of the half-bowl and a locking handle below.

Why the three-sectioned model? You get better stability with the DA 75 L, which incidentally is the most widespread Sachtler in the Norwegian nature photographic community (I own 3-4 of them, but these days, my main tripods are the bigger 100 mm class ENG 2 CF, HD & HD CF).

3. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
  4. Raindog

Raindog

Nov 26, 2005
    Asheville, NC
    Thanks Bjorn,

I must have missed that model, I'll check it out.

Cheers,
    Mike

5. nfoto

nfoto Guest

6. Bjorn,

Do you have prices for 100mm models that you now use? I have been on the Sachtler website, but they don't give any prices.

The two models I am particularly interested in are the ENG 2 CF and the ENG 2 CF HD.

7. nfoto

nfoto Guest

You'll find them listed at the BH Photo site. Have a look there.

Do remember they come without heads, so make allowance for a quality head plus any device needed to mount the head of choice on the tripod (they are not your standard flat-top tripods, but have a 100 mm video bowl)

8. Thanks Bjorn,

That made for interesting and frightening reading!

I thought you might have bought yours from somewhere in Europe. With postage and import duties, the price starts to get somewhat prohibitive. The difference in price between the the HD and the non HD is only 200 dollars. Is there a significant difference in performance to warrant the carrying of the extra almost 2kg? I couldn't see from any of the photo's whether the lowest section of the non HD is using two tubes or just the one.

My longest lens at the moment is the 50-300mm which I can use on its own or with the TC-16A (which, whilst I know you do not rate that highly, I am amazed by the lack of degradation). This gives me 480mm x 1.5 (for digital) = effective 720mm. The slow aperture leads to a lot of danger zone shooting.

On my Manfrotto 055 with an M20 head this combination is a joke. As for lowering the legs onto the second click to widen the stance (as was mentioned recently), without a spreader the whole lot is in grave danger of collapsing.

Perhaps I should just take my laser level off my site tripod and use that!!!

9. nfoto

nfoto Guest

The main differences between the ENG 2 CF and the ENG 2 CF HD are more than meets the eye or tips the scales, or indicated by the small 200 $ price difference (I have and use both).

The HD is bigger and bulkier and will extend to a greater height, it has also more than twice the rated load rating (45 vs 105 kg or thereabouts) and takes the torsional rigidity of the non-HD, which is pretty convincing on its own, to an entirely new level.

The HD is double-tubed for all three sections, the non-HD is single-tubed on the lowest section and double elsewhere. Thickness of the tubes is much greater on the HD model, which explains most of the 1.8 kg weight difference.

Both will handle your 50-300 with the utmost ease.

10. Thanks Bjorn.

11. I've just won a DA-75L on Ebay at under half retail price.

I would have liked a CF-100, but this let's me try a Sachtler with little financial risk.