Sacred Art

There is a store not too far from where I live that sells furniture and sacred art from Southeast Asia. A friend and I visited there a few days ago with my D700 with a recently acquired 85 f/1.4 AI-s mounted. The dim light of the warehouse and display rooms seemed well suited for wide open shooting. The light outside was clearly too bright for that kind of work and I wanted to put this lens through its paces. I'm certainly not disappointed with what it can do. Fortunately, the fellow who owns this store was very happy to have me wandering about taking photos. Here are a few... Enjoy!

85.1.4.BronzeBuddha.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

85.1.4.BuddhaHead02.jpg

85.1.4.QuanYin.jpg

85.1.4.GaneshBendingDown.jpg

Thanks Lyndee and Art. It is perhaps fitting that responding to the two of you on the subject of sacred art brings me to 300 posts on NC, the threshold that permits me to see what is available for sale. The funny thing is that when I registered over a year ago I didn't own a single Nikon lens and the prospect of shopping here was attractive. But over the last year I've bought almost THIRTY Nikon lenses, not all for myself, but enough that I'm really not in the market any longer. :eek:

So I've reached the threshold and what I'm left with is a fine place to share images and chat with other photographers. Nothing could be finer!

And yes, Art, the 85 f/1.4 AI-s is brilliantly sharp wide open. It definitely deserves its reputation as one of Nikon's best lenses.

Thanks Steve, Ted. And Ted, the store is located in San Rafael not too far from Highway 101. They have a website you can check out, though I don't believe it is up to date with regard to inventory. It is a wonderful store with some very nice folks working there, especially the owner Lou. It is worth checking out if you're interested in this kind of art. And prices are very reasonable in my opinion.

www.viadiva.com

Funny thing is a photographer who frequents Fred Miranda saw a few photos taken at Via Diva contacted me since he lives in San Rafael. We're getting together next Tuesday for a cup of coffee and to chat about photography. What a delightful way to meet someone!

Thanks, I was just shooting a few shots of some of the bronze, etc. I've collected. I'll try to post a few later. I believe I visited Via Diva in the very early 90s and will make a point to return the next time I'm north of SF.

Yes, it is very nice when connectedness of the internet leads to human interaction.

Ted

This statue was one that was outside a museum here in Houston for a while. I'm glad I got a few snaps of it since it is no longer there

Picture318_cr.jpg

DSC00014.jpg

Thanks Les, though I'm still shaking my head at the images madecov dropped on a thread about Sacred Art... :eek:

I don't know much about this particular religion but it is from Texas, so the possibilities are endless... :rolleyes:

Here's another photo taken from the shop, the head of the Buddha... also shot with the 85 f/1.4 AI-s wide open.

85.1.4.BuddhaHead.jpg

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom