Sad memory *UPDATED*

Well...I can just say that I am quite saddened and to be honest, VERY angry at what has occured at our families property in recent weeks. Some of you may remember last year when I photographed for several days, a pair of Gray Fox's. Gray Fox's have been using an ancient log cabin on the family property as shelter for their den (its under the cabin) for several decades. The cabin dates back to 1871.

For the past 2 weeks, we have not seen the pair out in the evenings as normally, they come out and get food to feed to the kits. I learned why...a relatively new neighbor ran into my brother the other day and they struck up a conversation. This neighbor then bragged to my brother that the other day, he saw a Fox come across our place and when it crossed the road and got into their field, he shot it. My brother was a bit shocked and asked why would you do that? His reply, was simply he saw it, and wanted to shoot it.

We do not know if it was the female or the male...but we know for sure one is gone. We watched the den area and now, one comes out at dark but its too dark to id which it is, male or female. I am hoping the female is the one left, so she can provide for the kits.

Needless to say, this is horrible. I am not against hunting, etc...but to kill something simply for the joy of killing it, is horrible. Besides that, its not season to harvest such an animal. A conservation agent will soon be paying a visit to this neighbor.

So, I went back and dug up this file I had not yet processed. Sorry for the rant...just don't understand people sometimes.

GrayFox7.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

*UPDATE*

Over the past few weeks my parents have been seeing a couple of young Gray Fox's playing around in their yard and near their barns. Yesterday, I got a call from my mother and she informed me she just watched 2 young Fox's playing in the backyard, and then saw them an hour later drinking for her water feature (bubbler).

My father believes they have taken up residence in his pole barn, as they have run out when he got in for his tractor, etc... Yesterday, I decided to set up the blind in hopes of seeing them come out in the late afternoon/evening. I saw them coming in and out of the pole barn, but they never came out into the yard area, so no pictures. I was SO happy to see them, so at least I can say that 2 young gray foxes are still here and survived the ordeal of one of their parents being illegally killed.

I will keep an eye out and I hope to capture some images of the young ones...time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a shame. If the animals were not a nusiance, and weren't hunting people's pets the moron should've left them alone. Hope he gets big fines.

Great shot though!

Tim

There's no reason whatsoever to apologize for a rant like this. Disgusting. I'm glad you called a Conservation officer.

Man that sucks. I hope he pays for his crime. Also in reply to
"Sorry what happened. It was a typical American ignorant point of view." I'm an american i don't have that point of view of things. I'm sure lots of american's aren't that ignorant.

Slobs like this really get on my nerves. I own 54 acres and used to be a hunter and sportsman. I have neighbors like this and because of them I no longer hunt, my land is now Posted, and I patrol it during hunting season to keep the animals alive and to make sure "Bubba" stays on his side of the property line.

I can't say for sure, but the deer and turkeys seem happier...:biggrin:

Fred

I am so sorry to hear that. Please keep us posted as to the well being of the animals. How about some shots of that 1871 cabin?

Bad news. I'm sorry to hear this as it is heartbreaking to think of why a person would shoot an innocent animal for the sake of shooting it. This isn't hunting, it is senseless killing. It is one thing to hunt and kill for food and survival, it is another to to kill and leave it. These actions turned me off from hunting many years back. I hope DNR or whatever government service puts some good old legal action on him and confiscate his guns. Sorry for my rant, but I dislike this type of behavior.

I don't understand how people could boast about killing a small animal from a distance with a gun. If he had wrestled a big bear to death in order to mate with a female bear, then maybe that is something to brag about. One reason I love photography is that you can "shoot" all the wildlife you want, without harming any of it. I appreciate your effort to take it to the authorities, and I hope it is followed through fully.

D

DW Brewer

As I used to tell my students before I retired from teaching: "...if you don't believe in the prevalence of the "stupid gene," just stick around. It will manifest itself shortly."

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I don't understand such people either! Hope they can get the guy to realize what a terrible thing he has done!

That man is not a hunter, he is a POACHER. We hunters abide by the law.

Sorry to hear about the sensless slaughter of that fox.

Thanks for all the replies. Some good news is that one of the Fox adults came out around 8 this evening and strolled through the yard. My brother and parents both called and notified me. Their property join each other and both happened to be looking out at the right time and saw it! So, at least one is still around, and I hope its the female to finish raising the young. Some good news!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom