1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sad....people think dad photographing HIS kids is a pervert

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JMontes, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    There is hope, though. From the article in the Daily Mail:
    Usually law enforcement is unfortunately uneducated on this and will blindly side with the "no photography" side. It's good to see that there are coppers out there who have a better understanding of the issue!

2. "What is the world coming to when anybody seen with a camera is assumed to be doing things that they should not?"

We've discussed this to death here and on other forums. It's a SAD, SAD, SAD society!

3. makes me sick
    it's a shame that THIS is what life has become

4. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    And here in Blighty too!

Not good!

5. JMontes

JMontes

Jun 22, 2007
    Edgartown, MA
    The sad part is that it wasn't just one person, it sounds like the parents ganged up on him.

6. jcovert

jcovert Guest

Re-diculous.

7. I could make a really sarcastic comment, but I'll refrain.

You know, it's all the media's and government's fault. Whenever evildoers are plotting something, they always take pictures with their cameras. The government also enforces this idea, because it makes them look like they're being pro-active. The media brainwashing machine continues! I know, I work in the dumbest branch of entertainment media!

8. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    I'm always taking pics of my boy at the park, i would be so offended and bothered if someone called me a perv because of it, i never even thought about that.

9. ryan davis

ryan davis

Aug 23, 2007
    virginia

You are so right! The press is it's own worse enemy. I have had police tell me the same thing. People are just crazy, be careful.

10. APandya

APandya

Jul 2, 2008
    NJ
    This is just the way things are now.

11. Keis

Keis

Jan 13, 2006
    Fort Collin, CO
    We are all so touchi. I could take offense with Jonathan's avatar since my name in Kenny
    HA

12. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    Even though we see more and more incidents like this, I'm still stunned every time.

13. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    When I first discovered Fox News channel, I seriously thought it was suppose to be satirical. The joke was on me!

Anyway, that really is sad. What's going on with UK lately?

14. I got asked at the soccer field about a month ago

Not during one of the weekly house league games - it was a school tournament

The organizer just asked me what school I was with and which child - after that it was cool

The parents at my house league games have all been cool - even since the first game

I use a monopod, so I am a little more obvious than most

It definitely sucks that the wrong impression is the first guess...

15. Muskieman911

Muskieman911

Apr 11, 2008
    nowhere
    People have too much time on there hands so they watch other people and tell them that they are doing "bad" things. If someone told me that I would punch him in the face and tell him to mind his own business. They have no right to call him a perv because he is capturing family moments in the park minding his own business. Now if he had a camera and was taking photos of a child that was not his, thats another story, but your own kid? God it makes me so mad!

16. Why are we, so obvious with our big black gear, so suspect; and the little old folk with their mini video-cams with 100X zooms OK?

I was always taught that it's the ones you can't see that will hurt you!

17. It has gotten to the point now that when approached in a hostile manner about what I am shooting, I tell people to kiss my *** and take a hike. And if they continue to have a problem, I ask them to call the police. I have been stopped and questioned by security guards and regular citizens, and sometimes detained by police officers, over a dozen times since 2001, and I have found that being Mr. Nice Guy does not seem to work. The one exception is actual police officers. Usually when questioned by them, being polite and courteous is the way to go. They are usually just doing their jobs. It is security guards and regular folks who are the biggest problem.

Enough is enough of these short sighted, zombie minded freaks. If they want to live in a world of perpetual fear, fine, they can knock themselves out- just leave me alone and the vast majority of us who want to live in a free and open society.

18. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    I wonder if it's different for us women. I'm sure people look at me weird because I'm a female doing a somewhat stereotypical male hobby. I also have extremely short hair, so I'm sure they're assuming I'm gay as well. It's just the way people are. I try not to let it bother me. I know who I am and what I'm doing. If they have a problem with it, I can usually sense it and will tell them straight out what I am doing. I'm not going to miss memories of my sons because some ignorant fool is making false assumptions.

19. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Alas, Linda, we're heading the same way as the USA;

We're turning into a litigious , politically correct society. It's not right...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.