Sad Start, Happy Ending - MPB

Real Name
Ken St John
About a month ago, after several weeks with the EOS R, I decided to sell my 6D Mk II. But, before shopping for quote, I sent it off to CPS for a "free" maintenance/cleaning (all I paid was shipping.). Service was done, and it was shipped back to me in beautiful condition. I next cleared all my settings etc. Camera was working perfectly and the report card from CPS said so. I shopped around and MPB had the best quote for the camera and the battery grip - actually a LOT better than Adorama, or B&H. Packed everything up in the same box Canon used to return my camera and sent it off with MPB's free shipping (FedEx Ground).

Several days later, tracking showed it delivered, and I waited to hear from them. More than a week later, I got a message indicating they'd buy the grip for the quoted price, but would not buy the camera as it was defective. Said the "Live View" and "Menu" buttons were inop. I immediately sent them a message indicating there was nothing wrong with the camera when it left my home, and to please check again ... perhaps with a different battery. Several days later, they emailed me back that the result of further checking was the same ... dead camera. I then sent them a strongly worded email, along with a copy of the report from CPS, indicating that the camera was in "perfect" condition when sent (there was only about 5 days between the time I got it back from CPS and I sent it out to MPB). I then asked them to initiate a claim with FedEx or their insurance for the full value of the camera as it most certainly was damaged either in transit or in their care.

A couple of weeks went by, and no updates so I pinged them again. The rep said he'd check with the department that was dealing with the insurance claim and would let me know in a few business days. Five business days later, I got an email confirming the initial quoted offer and asking for my bank info for an ACH transfer.

I filled out their form, and, sure enough, the money hit my account in 48 hours. So, all was OK in the end.

I'm guessing that IF there was anything actually broken, they probably got a nice payout from FedEx or their insurance, "fixed it" and will sell it as the "like new" condition they paid me for. Thus not only making a profit on the sale itself but also on the leftover from the settlement vs the repair cost!! They never provided me a full "explanation" or confirmation of any claims process, but I really don't care ... I got what I felt was a more than fair price (based on what B&H/Adorama quoted!!)

So, would I do business with MPB again? Probably. But I do think the whole experience shows that you need documentation on the condition for something like a camera before sending it in!!

Ken

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I had a similar problem....but with the US Post Office. Shipped hubby's video camera to B&H. Package got lost in delivery.....but finally arrive. B&H said box was damaged and video cam didn't work. B&H didn't take photos of damage.....just sent it back. I filed a claim with the Post Office. After several letters refusing to honor the insurance I had purchased....and after refusing to look at my documentation as to the condition when it was shipped or talk to peole that would verify the working condition when shipped.....the Post Office finally after several months gave in and sent me about $4,000 dollars... which was the amount B&H was going to send me for the item....and within the insurance I purchased.

WHEW!

So, would I do business with MPB again? Probably. But I do think the whole experience shows that you need documentation on the condition for something like a camera before sending it in!!

Ken
It is that type of experience that would keep me from doing business with them again. We had a bad experience with a landscaping / irrigation company that was highly recommended by the local gardening show host. It was after the hard freeze that hit Texas and much of the south. I had them go ahead and repair the sprinkler system and quote us on replacing the landscaping that was killed. They came out to replace the vacuum breaker and take the information for the landscaping. When we got the bill, they charged us twice the retail price for the part and $300 for less than an hours work. Needless to say, their quote for landscaping went into the recycling unopened. We ended up using a landscaper we had used several times before. The work turned out great and the yard looks wonderful now.

I've dealt with MPB several times, buying and selling. My experiences have always been very positive. This last time, they even raised the condition of a few items and increased their payment. These things are always subject to potential problems, it pays to be careful, as you were, in documenting what is being shipped. Let me tell you about my recent horror story with UPS destroying a computer, delivering a box ripped open on one side, not getting the delivery signature I paid for (but claiming they did) and fighting payment of insurance.....

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom