Sad Update on the New Wild Foal

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by davidwcramer, Jun 8, 2007.

1. If you saw this thread you saw the images of the brand new foal born on Tuesday. Yesterday (Thursday), she was not to be found with her mother or her pack. I took these images Thursday, and I noticed a few things about the pack that were unusual. Firstly, they stayed close together. Normally they will graze and often put 40-50 feet between them, sometimes more. This day they stayed closely packed. Secondly, they seemed on alert. Every few seconds, one of the adults was scanning the area. This has never been the case before. After sharing this with our local wild horse group, they hooked me up with Lena, a local volunteer, who watches the horses closely and has a permit to go onto the Pueblo land where the horses have been grazing for the past few months. I took her out and we found the pack. She looked all around but there was no sign of the new foal. She seemed resigned to the fact it must be dead, and was concerned about a pack of wild dogs she has seen in the area lately. There are also bobcats in the area. Another element of being wild horses... they exist mostly on their own, and have to survive that way. It's sort of like the Star Trek Prime Directive, for those of us who remember that show. We watch, study, and learn from the horses, but try not to intervene often. As far as I know, I'm the only person who saw this foal. I'm really glad I was able to photograph her, even if her life was short.

These images are from Thursday, not postprocessed except for resizing.
    The mother:
    [​IMG]

The stallion (I learned that Lena calls him Midnight)
    [​IMG]

The small pack, hanging tightly together:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These aren't posted for their photographic merit, more of an acknowledgement of this little foal's (whom Gale named Patch) brief existance.
    I, of course, am quite attached to these animals, and sharing their daily lives in this way makes that bond stronger.

Patch:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. So sad but of course nature's way will prevail. I am so happy that you share this story and these loving and lovely images David.
    dave

3. jln319

jln319

Oct 12, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Very sad indeed. What beautiful animals. Thanks for sharing.

4. Ghunger

Ghunger

Apr 2, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    The sad story makes the pictures you posted previously all the more special. Thanks for sharing them. :frown: :smile:

5. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    Godspeed, 'lil guy...

6. Thanks Dave. There are bound to be sad days in the lives of these beautiful animals.

Much appreciated, Jeff.

Thanks for commenting Brian.

Thanks for the good wish Lisa!

7. David, thanks for the story behind the pictures. Sad story but as we know from being out with animals, life is tough. I think it is amazing that any little animals can survive, given all the things that can go wrong. You are lucky to have seen and shot the foal.

8. It's an old story but still a sad one, David. I'm glad you've taken the time to follow it and share it with us.

9. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    After having seen those wonderful pictures I'm feeling very sad for the foal. I was hoping through your documentation that we would see it mature. It's a tough life out there. We all know that but through your pictures many of us feel connected to these animals.

10. I'm sorry to hear of the foal's disappearance. It's amazing the connection one can quickly develop with animals. As a breeder I've learned not to interfere with nature when it comes to newborns. It's never easy to let one go, but you quickly learn that interfering brings you no further. :frown:

Your pictures are beautiful and I'm glad you got to see her, and share her with us.

11. Okay, if I choked up over this, I don't dare tell Mariam! What a shame, but at the same time, I know it's nature. We'll cherish those photos you have taken even more. Thanks for the update and please do keep the photos comin when you can.

12. Sorry to hear that David. On a positive note, thank you very much for sharing your continuing relationship with these animals. I suspect that your "wild horse journalism" means a lot to many Cafe members.

13. I'm really bummed I showed your images to my wife and two daughters and now I have to tell them it is probly gone...

14. That is so very sad..... such a gorgeous animal. The connections we make with the newborns of wildlife are special, and to lose them so young really tugs at our hearts. I too was looking forward to watching the growth through your wonderful photos, Dave. So sorry....

15. Yes I am. I'm also accepting the fact I will probably not know how it meet its demise. It could even have died of a physical problem, rather than an attack.

You are quite welcome Dave.

Thanks Torben. We still have four foals this year that I hope to chronicle.

Thanks Gretchen!
    I will Dianne. And there will be lots more for Mariam to view!

Thanks Dennis. I'm very fortunate to live so close to these animals.
    It is a bummer. But I'll be sure and post more on the other foals.

Thanks Sandi. I'll certainly keep you posted on the growth and lives of the other foals!

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    awwwwwwwwwwwwwww thats terrible
    Patch was a little sweeting. So precious and fragile.

So sorry to hear this David.

You pictures are beautiful

Heck after watching these animals with you through pictures , I became attached to.

RIP Little Patch

17. Beautiful pictures and a sad tale... Thanks for sharing the good as well as the bad David. It's sometimes so hard, we want everyone and their babies to eat, it's all so precious, yet sometimes in direct conflict. Somehow, somewhere that little horse lives on, I'm sure of it...

Peace.

18. Thanks for sharing this story David. You have done a terrific job in capturing and sharing the lives of this herd of horses, I think many of us have gotten a bit attached so to speak. I know that I certainly look forward to your postings of this group. Sad story but nature isn't fair when it comes to the survival of one in the wild.

Keep up the good work David.

Louie

19. Dave do you have mountain lion or Puma in this area. Pack of dogs could do it but I wonder about bobcat, anybody know if they could bring a foal down?
    I am sorry to hear about it though. Why do they permit the wild dogs to exist?
    Lou

20. Thanks Gale. I appreciate you giving this little one a name to remember her by.

Thanks Michael. I have to keep in mind that wild animals in particular, are part of the food chain. It's also been known that if a foal is disabled, the stallion may kill it.

Thanks very much Louie. I appreciate you following these animals with me.

Moutain lion would not normally be in this area, as it is a little further from their roaming grounds. It is possible, but not likely. The horses are presently on Native American pueblo lands, and they often allow their dogs to roam free. I've seen this particular pack a few times, and they are very wild and can be vicious.