Sadly the Kestrel home is gone

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Glacier, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Gary and I assume either high winds or lightning did their home in. Thankfully they had already fledged. At least you can see what the inside of a Kestrel nest looks like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few from a couple of weeks ago of the babies leaving the nest and taking their first flights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Well at least you can say that tree gave of itself until the very end!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Aww to bad about thier tree.
    Sure am glad they wer not in it
    Very nice pics

4. Wow...good timing.

5. Nice Piece Andy

Tells the story well. Glad we were the day of Fledging

6. Andy, I don't think it would be lighting as most of the time it will pick a high tree and live as the core wood in the center conducts the current flow to ground and turns to steam and the entire tree explodes. Being the nest cavity was in there it most likely weakened the dead tree and it just finally gave out. You know if you can you should try placeing a nest box on a post there in the area as the parents will be looking for a new spot next year. I have read about some birding clubs that have them placed along roads and highways and go each year and clean them out and they also do some banding. The box is simalar to an owls nest box (for cavity nesters). Try googleing it.
    Lou

7. You have some gems there, nice pictures! I can feel your sorrow about losing your friends.

Regards,

Eduardo.

(btw, nice little woodpecker)

8. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    That it did!

That's exactly what we said!

A week earlier and I'm not sure what would have happened.

9. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Me too!

Thanks Lou. As you can see this tree was hollow up and down its length so I'm sure a little nudge from a strong wind finished it off.

Thanks Eduardo! Yes the Woodpecker was looking for grub and apparently was finding plenty. He kept going over there.