Safari vs Firefox

For the second commercial website I found it impossible to complete transactions on Safari.

Several months back, I could not order shoes from Sebago. I could put in the width, not the length. Could not add to cart. I ended up with a telephone transaction. The lady told me just checking the box at the bottom of the screen is how you add to the cart. THERE is NO BOX.

I had unimaginable trouble signing up for mail order prescription delivery from AARP. I spent close to two hours at it and it very simple to do, just not with Safari.
As a stop grap, someone added a user ID and password for me that was typed wrong. I tried to go back and change it and all I got was error messages. Recontacting them they again did the registration change for me. The lady asked if I was on Safari. I said yes. Same issue, missing finalization check boxes. She told me to get Firefox or Mozilla. By golly all works well with them. She said many customers have trouble with Safari.

So now I have to sometimes use Firefox, but it appears slow in comparison. Does Firefox resort information already in Safari or is it slow by nature?

Is it simply bad programing by web developers to include Safari users?

I am up to date with OS and latest version of Safari.

I have no problem with Nikon Cafe & Safari perhaps because they realize there is a world beyond Microsoft.

I think something like 80% of all web traffic is driving around in some version of Internet Explorer. I keep a copy of Firefox on my computers for the odd time that I have an issue...the rest of the time I am on Safari. Firefox is slow and seems to require constant updates.

You could also try out Google's Chrome...it supposed to be just as fast as Safari...

I think something like 80% of all web traffic is driving around in some version of Internet Explorer......
Yup, I'm of the same opinion. The Toronto Real Estate Board website will work in nothing BUT IExplorer. Bell Canada's website has problems with Firefox and Java, but runs just fine in IE. Very frustrating have to switch back and forth.

I even keep a really old laptop on the shelf with WinXP Pro just in case I have a problem with a program in Win7, like NikonScan. It's kind of like a security blanket.

Love the new Firefox. I have stopped using Safari on my MBP. Added benefit, FF built in sync can keep bookmarks synced between windows and Mac computers.

Wow, since 4.0 I find Firefox faster than Safari. I gave Safari a try when I got the Macbook Air, but have since switched back to the Fox. Are you updated beyond a 3.x version? The difference is startling.

Once in a while you'll find a site that doesn't work well with Safari. I haven't been to one in a long time now. I think you can somehow set Safari to somehow trick the site into thinking it's IE or Firefox.

But isn't it still amazing how some sites are locked into IE. Do you know anyone that still uses IE? I don't think I've used IE in something like 10 yrs now. What a hunk of junk.

I've gotten fed up with both and am actually hooked on Google Chrome now. Love the bookmark syncing feature, among other things. :cool:

I haven't tried IE in years, nor do I have a desire. At home on my Macs, I have a choice of FF, Chrome, or Safari. I have always just used FF, and it has always just worked. I've never had a site where I have had problems. I try Chrome/Safari every once in a while, when there are updates, but quite honestly, on FIOS, I can't tell a difference in speed between any of them. I'm not sure my reaction time is qualified to notice a difference of .01 of asecond difference in loading speed in my normal browsing! :tongue: I am simply comfortable with my plugins and addons in FF, I have my tabs set up how I like them, etc. etc.

Web developers have more work than they ever used to because of how different browsers interact with web pages nowadays. Firefox is a little smarter in most situations, but it also [has been] a big memory hog.

There are times when I can't use Safari or Chrome, but that is very rare nowadays. But in those times, I just reload the page in Firefox, complete what i'm doing, and go back to Safari when done.

The idea of being able to use one browser for everything and doing everything good is just not realistic right now. Not while IE/firefox are the most used browsers and each have their share of faults just like Chrome/Safari/Opera.

......If a site does not run properly, it is an indication of BAD web-programming......
My feelings, exactly. I run Firefox and Safari on a MAC, and in the very rare case that a site doesn't work well, I don't visit the site (or order the product, etc).

Sebago is one a a few companies that make 11A shoes. Stores tend not to stock that size.

I need the drug site for Medicare D which I am required to have by nanny government.

So going someplace else is not an option.

Westlake Village, Ca. and 20 mi NW of Prescott, Az
As a longtime Firefox user I was a bit hesitant to try Safari. I will say that Safari was somewhat crash prone a year ago. Probably due to Flash issues. Anyway, the latest rev of Safari has been very stable and it suits my needs. Haven't run across any sites that act funky.

good luck with whatever you use.
JohnG

Well I found another site, Fidelity Research, half the tabs are overlapped or missing. I have the latest Safari 5.05 and SL latest version.

I was at my neighbors last night and we went to Fidelity and his displays correctly, he has Leopard and never updates anything .

I also have a new iMac 227 with i7 processor. I use it only for photography, but i will check out how Fidelity Investments runs on it.

FF -> IE

is the order of browsers I use when things start to break. IE is VERY forgiving when encountering improperly coded websites which is also a big problem since it makes the developer think everything is OK when it's not.

As someone else mentioned if the site doesn't' work; it means it's bad programming :)

Westlake Village, Ca. and 20 mi NW of Prescott, Az
Well I found another site, Fidelity Research, half the tabs are overlapped or missing. I have the latest Safari 5.05 and SL latest version.

I was at my neighbors last night and we went to Fidelity and his displays correctly, he has Leopard and never updates anything .

I also have a new iMac 227 with i7 processor. I use it only for photography, but i will check out how Fidelity Investments runs on it.
please post a link.

FireFox 4 beta is available and is A LOT faster than the current non-beta version. And it adopted some really nice features from both Safari and Chrome. I'm really liking it. Worth a shot.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom