Safe, Out, and?

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Harry Lavo, Jul 10, 2007.

1. A quartet of plays from Sunday's Giant's games.

Safe! At least according to the picture.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But the ump called him out.

Out! At least that is what Giants fans thought.
    [​IMG]
    The ump at second base called him safe.

And.....any guesses?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ump got it right in the first one (how could he not, standing only ten feet away?). How about the second one. Safe, or not? Your conclusion?

2. Nice, Ya its funny when you have photographic proof that they are wrong, Of course people are bound to make mistakes and its all part of the game, so the crowd can whine and the team can complain, But its fact of the matter.

Heres a similar experience I had last game, though I forget what the call was! The ump would have had a tough time on this one!

falcons5.

3. Nice shots Harry. I love the facial expression on the baserunner in the first one....classic. The others are solid but you were in great position to capture the first one. I am coming back to the cape this weekend for vacation and am hoping to go see some cape league games.

4. Thanks...the Cape League is where I first fell in love with this type of league. To me it represents the ideal of baseball: quality play, amateur enthusiasm, and local and passionate yet considerate fan base.

Glad you liked the pics....and bring some back from the cape!

5. That one would be tough! Really nice shot, though...love you "catch" of the ball just before entering the glove.

6. Nice "catch".

Safe or out? On a dry field/day look for the dust around the 1st baseman's glove. If you see a dust puff around the fingers of the glove you can be pretty sure he has the ball. The converse is not true many times --- No dust puff is NOT a good indicator of the ball not being in the glove. ;-)