safe way to clean focusing screen (D2X)?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Jeff Mims, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I just got my D2X in, opened the box, and there is a speck of something on the screen. Since it's just out of the box, I don't want to mess around too much.
    I've had this happen with Nikon film bodies before. Never bother photo quality, but was slightly annoying. Just one little speck.
    Since this is digital.....does the speck matter? I did recieve another screen included with the D2X, which means I have a tool to remove the screen. I'd rather not, particulary before I check the camera and make sure everything is functioning (while within the return policy period).
    If the speck won't affect photos in digital cameras, it won't bother me. It's just a small speck.

2. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I blast my D2X screen with a Giottos blower. Spec gone! Hold body UP with lens opening down so dust will fall out. Get the larger blower. Not much bigger than the smaller one; much more air output. Available at B&H and most camera shops.

You will solve this in 5 seconds!

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Ditto on the Giotto Rocket!

Can you see the speck on the underside of the focussing screen when you take the lens off? Since it's on the viewing screen, it won't affect the image, which gets projected right from the back of the lens onto the sensor when the mirror flips up and the shutter opens. Don't touch any of the stuff inside there (well, not until you're ready to swab the ol' sensor. Cause eventually there will be one of them specks right on your sensor, and it will refuse to be blown off.)

4. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Gadget guy & Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion on the Giotto Rocket blower. Got one on the way.
    I don't live near a camera store, so everything is internet for me.

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Paul,
    I had an "speck" issue on a focusing screen years ago, with an FM2.
    What I learned was...

1. focusing screens are easily scratched.:smile:
    2. If it's just one tiny speck, it can be annoying, but I can also learn to ignore
    it.
    3. Never affected my photos.

So...I'll wait on the rocket blower. If that doesn't work, I'm probably not going to worry about it anymore. It's just not that bad. I just noticed it when I took the D2X out of the box and turned it on. Since I've been trying to learn more about the camera, I've paid less attention to the speck. I'm more concerned with focusing issues. Which...mine does not seem to have any focusing problems, thankfully.

7. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Dust on the focusing screen is actually a benefit. It will make manual focusing easier. And no, this isn't a joke.

8. Like everyone said - it isn't anything but an annoyance. If you can see the dust on the bottom of the screen (or mirror) you can try a quick dab with a SpecGrabber wand, it'll pull the dust without blowing it around.