Salt Lake City

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Bright Angel, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

I'd like to dedicated this thread to all SLC/Utah Nikon Cafe members, especially those who helped me find a tripod shop back in July :smile:

Capitol Building & Assembly hall without tripod :Sad: Cathedral of The Madeleine with tripod :smile:

Capitol Building
    p108867095-4.

p380953740-4.

p1045636555-4.

p1023787638-4.

p648740628-4.

Assembly Hall
    p920103883-4.

Cathedral of The Madeleine
    p743758258-4.

p410903769-4. p974857444-4.

Lots more at Utah Photos 289 to 317
    Thank you for looking :smile:

2. It looks like you had a very productive trip to Utah. All the shots in your gallery were awesome. The ones you have here look great as well. The one of the Assembly Hall is particularly striking. I like its subtleness. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

God Bless,
    David

3. I like them all a lot. Picture number two is superb.

Gert-Jan

4. You've done a great job with our fair city and state. Beautiful captures! I'm glad you enjoyed the visit.

5. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

Thank you all :smile:

6. what amazing structures there are to shoot in SLC
    you have done well
    thanks for sharing these wonderful images with us

7. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Beautiful images. Looks like you enjoyed your trip. The shot of the peaks of the assembly hall is my favorite of the group. Great contrast between the building and the sky.

8. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

Thank you spalding12 & ArtO :smile:
    I had a great time in SLC, but I got there on a Sunday.
    Everywhere seemed closed and there wasn't many people around.

9. Wow. These are

exceptional. Are any of them HDR images? They look to have quite a dynamic range, at least on this laptop.

10. These are awesome captures. I will need to stop in the next time I am in SLC. I like the way that you blend in your watermark with the curves of the subjects!

Thanks...Jim

11. These are exceptional. I am curious about your shooting and post processing technique. Like Joe, I am wondering if they are HDR. If so, I would love to know how you are blending the photos.

12. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

Thank you to all :smile:

Terri please check out
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=186418
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=186004
    These shots were inspired by your visit to the area.

J.Alan,
    Shots 3 & 6 were HDR :smile:

Processing:
    I open up the NEF file into NX2, sometimes I correct the colour, by adding the black & white points via the Double Treshold Histogram (bottom right).
    I also try different White Balance settings, just to see if there's an improvement or not.
    And then maybe add a few Color Control Points to brighten or darken an area.
    Once I'm happy with it, I "open with" into Photoshop.

After I've checked for straight horizontal and dust marks etc, I resize the image to 50%.
    The only plugins I seem to use now are:- Nik Software Color Efex Pro 3, Nik Software Silver Efex Pro 1 & Nik Software Viveza 1.
    "Silver Efex" is used for black & white conversion, "Viveza" is used to add control points, like NX2.
    I mainly use "Color Efex Pro" for for adding tonal contrast, using the Tonal Contrast filter, as well as the Skylight filter.

Then play around with all the usual settings and then run a noise reduction on the image and then save it at 50% to 60% compression, maximum file size of 1.2 MB's.

For HDR, I shot a 3 shot bracket -1, 0 & +1.
    And use Photomatix Pro to blend them.
    Sometimes I just use the -1 & 0 shots, because HDR makes the image brigher anyway.
    Then I open in Photoshop and usually repeat the above.

I don't use HDR as much as I used too, instead I try to blend the different exposures.
    Either create 2 exposures from the same image using NX2 or use 2 different exposures, again with NX2.
    Then blend then in Photoshop and repeat the Nik Software routine.

If blending the images is too complex i.e. I can't be bothered doing it, then I used HDR :) 

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.