1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Samantha portrait- reworks added

Discussion in 'People' started by Mitchell, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Samantha cooperated for about 5 minutes this evening. I wanted to play with my CLS.

Any comments on these?

329051802_AMCtJ-XL.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Not real happy with the shadow under her chin on this one. Not sure what I could have done differently.

329051759_7C9yv-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2008
  2. Phil

Phil

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    They are different then having a background but i like them.

3. Mitch,

Did you use a pair of light source? It rather looks like you did. I really enjoy the CLS, for which I may always being in the learning stage. :smile: If I have your lighting figured out, the side source looks too strong and maybe a bit high. Also, did you use a diffuser? Samantha is a great little model.

I am really interested in how you had your lighting set up. I'm considering a 3rd SB-800 for some applications.

Regards,

4. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    OK, so I'm lame. What is CLS?

5. Nikon's Creative Lighting System.

6. Hey Mitch - They both seem a little hot to me. I think the first one is the best of the two, but still too bright. She's still a cutie!

7. Hi Mitchell
    shes such a cutie!
    I agree with you, left side seems bit overexposed, you could really see it in her hair, maybe try softening the light a little

8. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    Oh yeah, I forgot they call it that! Thanks!

9. fyreflie24

fyreflie24

Jun 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Mitch: it took me a while to get the balance of light/exposure just right but you're close.. watch that red channel on the face/histogram... depending on now much spill you're getting from your bg, you probably need very little up front... gives a really nice soft quality too that way (but you'll still get modeling/shadows).

Separate her from the bg more if you can...

Great start! she's such a cute kid :) 

10. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Nice images, Mitch! What was your setup like?

11. Well Samantha is a cutey as always. Your light to her right front is too bright and perhaps a little low. Love her cute expression in #1.

12. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    So darling! Yes they are a little hot on my monitor. I am having lighting difficulties too. Being on location photographer I am trying to learn the studio lighting concept now.

Sam is growing so quickly!

13. These were done with three SB-800s. Two were aimed at the backdrop +2 EV and the third was in an umbrella on my left. I made the mistake of not using a softbox on my umbrella. I think this would have helped me a lot. The was a reflector on my right.

Interesting to me that some feel the light was too high and some feel it was placed too low! I'm not happy with the shadow beneath her chin. My reflector was probably at a bad angle.

Like I said, I set all this up and she granted me a few moments of her time. I took a total of 10 shots before she was done.:rolleyes: 

14. I agree these do look a little too hot. I will have to play around with the exposure when I get home. I shot in RAW so I should have some lattitude.

15. I am eagerly watching your foray into studio lighting. I'm much more comfortable in my garage!

Sam is a big girl. She reminds me of this fact several times a day!:Love:

16. Thanks, Donamarie! So glad to see you back here. You've been missed.

I'll take a closer look at all the channels in the histogram when I reprocess these.

I didn't have a ton of room to separate her from the background. Quite frankly, I'm fed up with my wrinkly muslins. I'm going to go out and get some white paper.

17. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    I don't mind a little shadow under the chin...it helps to define the jaw line. Thanks for sharing the setup!

18. Took these two down 1/2 a stop. Any better or still too hot?

329543549_R4gdW-L.jpg

329543489_nMeuw-L.jpg

19. JMontes

JMontes

Jun 22, 2007
    Edgartown, MA
    Mitch, great shots. Check out this thread, particularly post 17 by Peano. If you want to lighten up the darker areas of the face a bit, it works very well. I also got an action by Linda that does the same thing, but I like it more for an entire face rather than certain small areas.

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=175617

BTW, they don't look too hot on my monitor.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  20. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    Mtich she looks like she is a bundle of joy and energy. What a cutie!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.