same-sex destination wedding..

This is my first post. Currently, I am trying to limit myself to 15-20 images for previews/slideshows. Twelve is a challenge. Any c&c welcome. Thanks.. jesse.

9131298702_55e2f09eae_c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

9131301736_c47d8c7dd4_c.jpg

9129013213_cfa05f2d78_c.jpg

9131289270_47e910d811_c.jpg

9131219284_cd0b2965be_c.jpg

9128982699_e9ff36beaa_c.jpg

9131164756_d0ff05694a_c.jpg

9128967581_05bc21c2fe_c.jpg

9128957223_0271f4b0ef_c.jpg

9129002379_5c0a86ed48_c.jpg

9128949127_16f7329ed6_c.jpg

9128934041_9b95c8d4a6_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

fks

Nice spread of photos with different styles. The only one I don't think is a wedding photo is #4; that would be more of a Halloween shot (not to be mean).

Nice spread of photos with different styles. The only one I don't think is a wedding photo is #4; that would be more of a Halloween shot (not to be mean).

Number 8 if you cloned out the person at the top of the stairs would be a touch better.

agreed with both of these.

great job on the processing and story telling with the variety of images.

3, 6, and 12 are the stunners for me. 3 is damned near perfect, 6 is a cute moment with great treatment and 12 is a perfect reception moment. Well done!

These are really nice. #8 looks like the Palace of Fine Arts in SF. Is that right?

These are all beautiful in their own right, but as a set the editing is kind of all over the place it seems. You have some punchy images, some muted tones, etc.

For reference:

#4 has selective color.
#10 seems over saturated.
#11 seems like a classic portrait with fantastic lighting but little editing
#12 seems to have muted tones and is slightly over-sharpened.

For me, personally, when I see a set of images I like to see consistency. Again, all of these by themselves are fantastic images. It's just the editing that doesn't flow very well for me.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
#3, 6, 7 9 and 11 are nicely done. #4 is not flattering at all. #8 could be a great image...but the legs/person in the upper right are very distracting. #10 seem over saturated or too yellow. The skin tones in #12 seem to have too much red....JMHO...

These are really nice. #8 looks like the Palace of Fine Arts in SF. Is that right?

These are all beautiful in their own right, but as a set the editing is kind of all over the place it seems. You have some punchy images, some muted tones, etc.

For reference:

#4 has selective color.

For me, personally, when I see a set of images I like to see consistency. Again, all of these by themselves are fantastic images. It's just the editing that doesn't flow very well for me.

In the end do you edit for the picture itself or create a style consistant with seeing in a series on web gallery? I prefer editing for the pic. Many of these images will be presented as wall hangers separate from each other.

I don't see this is a nitpick.

On 4, toss it regardless of editing unless client likes it.

In the end do you edit for the picture itself or create a style consistant with seeing in a series on web gallery? I prefer editing for the pic. Many of these images will be presented as wall hangers separate from each other.

Both, I think. My goal is to give all of the images and the story/day as a whole a similar vibe. I want my images to flow together.

The difference between model/editorial photography and wedding/lifestyle photography is that consistency plays little role in the former, and is absolutely key in the latter.

I'm always thinking in terms of how the images will look in an album/blog post. In an album, the images edited like above, in my opinion, would be all over the place and the flow of the wedding album would be compromised. Whereas, if you're working with a model for a single-image editorial piece, you can easily edit each image entirely differently, and since they're only looking for a single image, that's not a problem.

Overall, the issue that arises is that if you edit your pictures with entirely different styles, your potential clients may see your work as inconsistent, and unpredictable. What will they get? Can they really gauge what you will provide them? Will you mix muted tones with high contrast with overly sharpened with selective color and then add in a few B&W images with some Sepia tones and Infrared images just for good measure? Or will the images have continuity and make sense when viewed in a story telling fashion.

I have a firm belief that wedding photographers are story tellers, and editorial photographers are simply single-moment capturers. Yes, sometimes 500 wedding photos tell a story, and yes, sometimes 1 editorial image tells a story, but how much does consistent editing matter if you only have one image? It simply doesn't.

Now, don't get me wrong. Some images are cool, some are warm, some are destined to be in B&W and some in color. But consistency in editing is a priority for me as a wedding photographer. But that's just me.

Both, I think. My goal is to give all of the images and the story/day as a whole a similar vibe. I want my images to flow together.

The difference between model/editorial photography and wedding/lifestyle photography is that consistency plays little role in the former, and is absolutely key in the latter.

I'm always thinking in terms of how the images will look in an album/blog post. In an album, the images edited like above, in my opinion, would be all over the place and the flow of the wedding album would be compromised. Whereas, if you're working with a model for a single-image editorial piece, you can easily edit each image entirely differently, and since they're only looking for a single image, that's not a problem.

Overall, the issue that arises is that if you edit your pictures with entirely different styles, your potential clients may see your work as inconsistent, and unpredictable. What will they get? Can they really gauge what you will provide them? Will you mix muted tones with high contrast with overly sharpened with selective color and then add in a few B&W images with some Sepia tones and Infrared images just for good measure? Or will the images have continuity and make sense when viewed in a story telling fashion.

I have a firm belief that wedding photographers are story tellers, and editorial photographers are simply single-moment capturers. Yes, sometimes 500 wedding photos tell a story, and yes, sometimes 1 editorial image tells a story, but how much does consistent editing matter if you only have one image? It simply doesn't.

Now, don't get me wrong. Some images are cool, some are warm, some are destined to be in B&W and some in color. But consistency in editing is a priority for me as a wedding photographer. But that's just me.

I get that, but like anything it comes down to a personal choice and artistic vision. If the client chooses you they choose you for a reason. Some may like a homogenous look, some may like different looks. If your style is different looks, you stick with it because that was why you were chosen.

For reference:

#4 has selective color.

Yes it is the pofa.. I get the editing consistency comment alot. It is the one basic principle that I find hard to budge on. What I have started doing is giving the 'natural" edit along with the variation. Thanks Pretty.

Man, 4 is getting destroyed :) I appreciate the honesty tho. Nice to see that i'm not all alone. Thanks John.

I replaced the circus shot with another getting ready image of same subject ;) Thanks for taking the time to drop your perspectives butler kid, toofastgtp, fks, IAMAMRA, nextelbuddy, vindex1963, *BBD.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get that, but like anything it comes down to a personal choice and artistic vision. If the client chooses you they choose you for a reason. Some may like a homogenous look, some may like different looks. If your style is different looks, you stick with it because that was why you were chosen.

I understand what you're saying. And to each his/her own. But images posted in a forum like this are often looking for critiques. So I offered mine.

I also know that in this industry, lack of consistency doesn't always take you very far. There are no famous/teaching wedding professionals whose editing is scattered all over the place. Consistency helps tell a story, in my opinion (and many others' opinions), and helps tell your clients that what they see is what they get. If you're always experimenting, you limit yourself to the type of people who are okay with having almost zero clue what they may get from you.

To the OP, these images by themselves are fantastic. Looks like you had a blast out here in SF! I just flew a guy out from NJ to shoot today's and tomorrow's weddings with me, and he's stoked!

I understand what you're saying. And to each his/her own. But images posted in a forum like this are often looking for critiques. So I offered mine.

I also know that in this industry, lack of consistency doesn't always take you very far. There are no famous/teaching wedding professionals whose editing is scattered all over the place. Consistency helps tell a story, in my opinion (and many others' opinions), and helps tell your clients that what they see is what they get. If you're always experimenting, you limit yourself to the type of people who are okay with having almost zero clue what they may get from you.

To the OP, these images by themselves are fantastic. Looks like you had a blast out here in SF! I just flew a guy out from NJ to shoot today's and tomorrow's weddings with me, and he's stoked!

I totally get it.. yeah it was awesome. Good luck this weekend bud!

Latest threads

Top Bottom