Samples of Nikkor 35-70 2.8 wide open at 70mm

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by smodak, Jul 29, 2007.

1. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Could you please post some?

Mine was bought years back from ebay during my film days...it was not as sharp wide open at 70mm as I would thought it would be. I liked the lens otherwise. I always thought that I must have gotten a bad copy..that is not as sharp wide open at 70mm..mine seems to back focus little bit too wide open at this length...

That is why I was searching for another copy ....

but the following post in dpr makes me think twice

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1030&message=24168981

may be all of them are soft wide open at 70mm?

Please post samples .....and opinions of course...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2007
  2. Brent M

Brent M

Aug 13, 2006
    This is the only such example I have:

DSC_8100.

3. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

wow Brent ...that is -> SWEET!!!

4. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

here's a couple most recent captures while at Doernbecher,,,wide open @70mm
    943290329_bc6cb68db0_o.
    focused on her eyes
    931630795_79a5ee0740_o.
    ..i find this an awesome lens and very sharp wide open all the way through ....;-))

5. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Nute, Brent

Would you please sell your copy to me ?

:biggrin:

;) 

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

lol smodak...well i had to pay my dues too, so to speak. my first copy had front focus issues. my second copy, this one -> PERFECT!
    ..once u get your hands ona good sample just keep it and never let it go!

good luck
    ;-))

7. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    Here is wide open at MACRO (which is locked at 35mm)

[​IMG]

and again:

[​IMG]

and again:

[​IMG]

I love this lens @ 2.8

8. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Mine performs pretty goos at 35mm too, it is the 70mm that I am after :) 

9. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

very nice Zach...;-)

10. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    The 35-70 F 2.8 is the most under rated Nikkor lens around. I had one for 15 years....it is also an honest macro lens. Soft? I do not think so.

11. Mine is softer at 70mm

Sorry no photos to post but I have had a copy of this lens for a couple weeks. I find my copy somewhat soft at 70mm and 2.8. It is much better at 35mm. There is something special about the pictures taken with it though. Contrast is amazing. The photodo sample was much softer at 70mm than at 35mm and of course when stopped down. Have a look.

http://www.photodo.com/product_96_p4.html

12. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Why do I keep on getting mixed messages

about the lens wide open at 70mm? Brent's Zach's and nutes samples are outstanding, whereas mine and a few others are not good. Should I try another new or used? ot all of these are same?

13. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

samples do vary, smodak ....a good sample is obviously a great lens...;-)

14. Bastards!!!! **Shaking my fist in the air** :wink: Now I feel I bought the wrong lens and should have gone for the 35-70/2.8 instead of the 17-55/2.8... he he he

Those are superb example of a great lens and people with talent using a great lens :smile:

15. found a sample

This is not a really good example because the focus point was not center frame, lenses are usually softer approaching the edge. This looks pretty good, but it is better at 35. I would say if can not achieve close to this then maybe you do have a bad copy. This is staight out of a D50 with no processing.

946472641_898ad48a1b_b.

100% crop

947430120_86a729495e_o.

16. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

lol Dude ...ah u know better,,,we're just poor and can't afford that high end stuff:Wink:

17. Very nice photos everyone!

Pardon my ignorance, but apart from the range of the 28-70 2.8 and the 35-70 2.8, is there any major difference between the 2 lenses in terms of image quality?

Thanks.

18. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    Well, for the price difference, there better be. I can't see myself owning the 28-70 as my D1/2 series cameras drive the AF screw as fast as AFS works, plus I'm totally satisfied with my copy. Also, its not that heavy, and the 28-70 is called the beast for a reason.

I would think the 28-70 is sharper w/ more contrast as it is supposed to be a completely improved version of the 35-70.

19. Jonathan P.

Jonathan P.

Jul 10, 2007
    Appalachia
    Just do what I did and get both. :smile:

Some copies of the 28-70 seem to be slightly better in the contrast department, while some are worse. Sharpness seems to be about the same.

Really, I don't think of the 28-70 as being optically superior. I think of it more like a 35-70 with a wider focal length and an AF-S focusing motor.

I'm happy to spend more money for better optical quality, or perhaps a certain "look." I spent a small fortune on the 85mm f/1.4 over the 85mm f/1.8 for this very reason. But I just couldn't see enough difference between the 35-70mm f/2.8 and the 28-70mm f/2.8 to justify the difference in price.

20. Brent M

Brent M

Aug 13, 2006
    You could probably convince me, but don't expect a bargain.:wink:

I purchased a used copy of the non-D from craigslist earlier this year. The guy I bought it from showed me some prints that looked very good, and the glass looked to be in good shape, but this copy, while fine at 35, was very soft at 70 until closed down to around f/8 or so.

I convinced my wife to buy me a new copy for my birthday, and well, I'm not disapointed with this one. :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.