Samsung Galaxy tab 4 replace sd card.

I recently bought this tablet and it comes with 16 gig built in memory and I had a 16 gig micro sd card to fit to it as well. I ordered a 64 gig card and when it arrived I removed the old card using the "unmount" command and fitted the new 64 gig card and formatted it with the device. Then I connected both to my laptop and copied and pasted the contents of the old card to the new card.
All the data transferred but the apps that were on the card no longer work.
Is there a simple trick to accomplishing what I wanted to do or will it mean downloading everything again and starting from scratch?
Also I'm wondering why it only shows as 58 gig after it's formatted?

Last edited:
Card manufacturers use slightly misleading convention for capacity. They market 1 GB to equal 1,000,000,000 bytes; where a computer sees 1 GB as 1,073,741,824 bytes (1024^3). Converting from marketing GB to actual GB using those numbers takes you from 64 GB to 59.6 GB. There's probably some overhead for file structure and such as well.

Thanks, I've set the card as the default download location already though this has nothing to do with my problem.
Changing cards is the problem.

Card manufacturers use slightly misleading convention for capacity. They market 1 GB to equal 1,000,000,000 bytes; where a computer sees 1 GB as 1,073,741,824 bytes (1024^3). Converting from marketing GB to actual GB using those numbers takes you from 64 GB to 59.6 GB. There's probably some overhead for file structure and such as well.
Ah, ok - that makes sense :)

I tried again this morning, swapped cards and decided to simply download the apps that were showing as "sd card" with a grey picture. Every time I try I get the message "unfortunately google play store has stopped working" and it closes. I insert the old card and the store works perfectly along with my apps.

I worked out a fix - I inserted the old card and did a "move apps to device storage" [moving them off the sd card] and then insterted the new card again and I have all my apps working again :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom