San Diego Embarcadero walkabout (5 pics) - what do you think?

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by genera, Sep 19, 2008.

1. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    1) Help Wanted: Must be comfortable working at heights and must "know the ropes".

Rigging on the HMS Suprise, a replica of a 17th century frigate maybe most famous for it's role in the movie "Master and Commander: the Far Side of the World" with Russell Crowe. On display at the Maritime Museum of San Diego.
    [​IMG]

2) A small sailboat at the Maritime Museum of San Diego. A bit abstacted and stylized.
    [​IMG]

3) The colors were too vivid to pass up.

An abstract view of one of the color wheels in the "Californiascope" by Harmon Nelson, Vicki Leon and Steve Riggs. This is part of the Urban Trees 5 sculpture collection on display at the San Diego Embarcadero for the next year or so. Photos of the other 30 "Urban Trees" as well as a photo of the complete Californiascope can be seen here: http://www.portofsandiego.org/publi...-trees-project/997-urban-trees-5-gallery.html
    [​IMG]

4) Reflections in a garage door at the Cruise Ship Terminal.
    [​IMG]

5) Same door, different angle.
    [​IMG]

All shot with a D3 and 17-55 2.8 DX :redface:. In my defense it was my first outing with a D3 (borrowed) and a wide angle lens.

2. Gene, Very nice work. I really like reflections but they're all great.

3. Nice use of reflections. The images look very good to me. My favorite is the last one.

4. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    Thanks Jim and Allen.

Except for levels the first reflection shot (#4) is pretty much as shot, distortions and all. I used a fractals generating plug-in on #5 (and on #2 and #3).

I appreciate your comments.

5. #2 is awesome! i really like the effect

6. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Nice artistic choices in post processing !

7. Loki_D_Wolf

Loki_D_Wolf Guest

Not overboard at all

For me #2. It's creepy, angel like kool!

8. ghursh

ghursh

Jul 3, 2007
    Gilbert, AZ
    very nice... great work

9. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    #2 seems popular but I wasn't even going to bother with it. This is what I started with:
    [​IMG]

I was using a friends D3 and never considered when I went out the door that the 17-55 wouldn't be suitable.

Thanks bestfromnw, Robert, Loki, and George for your kind comments.

10. Yep, I know where these were shot... They look very familiar....:tongue:

11. papa85

papa85 Guest

I would say you made something out of nothing. Very well done.

12. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    Thanks Tony!

Thanks Eric. I'll bet there aren't very many places in Southern California you aren't familiar with.

13. Don't usually check out this forum too often, but your thread shows me why I should! Nice work.

14. Great abstracts. I like the creative effects.

15. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    Thomas and Maji, thanks, I'm glad you like them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.