San Diego Wild Animal Park, #1.....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Jul 14, 2005.

1. I'll post some of Nancy's in a separate post, but here are a few of mine. The entire gallery can be found here:
    http://deweydrive.com/gallery/album54

These are from the truck, in the enclosure.

A distinctive heart-shaped nose sets these animals apart. You can see the notches in the ear, these signify a numbering system to track the individual animals.
    DSC9775.

Look Ma, I can WALK :!: - baby Giraffe, just a week old
    DSC9822.

On Guard....
    DSC9852.

As you can see from the shooting data, we were not far away from these animals. Babies everywhere, a couple were born while we were there as well.

Here are a few off the truck.

Ah, San Diego Sunshine :!:
    DSC9903.

Mr. Majestyk....at least in his own mind - a Gale Special :wink:
    DSC9908.

Snowy Egret, Nest and Chicks - Breeding Plummage I think :?: - ID help please...
    DSC9928.

Oh so Cute, American Coot
    DSC9932.

We so often ignore the lowly, black Coot, but the baies are sure colorful aren't they?

More in the gallery, including a couple more for Gale :lol: , if you go, plan on a long day and sore feet......

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Just an excellent series Bill. Glad to see you haven't lost your touch. :wink:

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Nice shots, Bill. Oddly, the vulture is my favorite shot, me thinks! ;) Baby giraffe sure is cute tho.

The bird id you seek is a Cattle Egret. Your shot is the exact scene etched in my mind over the last 2 months from my frequent visits to the Rookery(s).

5. Great series Bill the Snowy Egret might in reality be a Cattle Egret in breedign plumage, just my guess

6. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    These are great. Makes me excited that I just bought the 70-200 myself.

Love the heart shaped nose, very unusual.

7. bfjr

bfjr Guest

very nice series !!
    makes me want to schedule a trip there myself
    and vulture is my fav from group, is that wrong :lol:

8. Thanks, Frank, it also helps when the subject matter can't get too far away :lol: .

9. Thanks, Kevin, it was sticking in the back of my mind that I had the ID wrong, which is why I asked. Since coming back I can't find my Sibley's, it must be under a pile of "stuff" as we were getting ready to leave.

Given our "talking to" by a naturalist who claims to know a lot about birds, he explained that to be precise a "rookery" should only be used when referring to the Rook itself. Each type of bird is specific, so Heron's are in "Heronries" and Egrets would be in "Egretries" I guess. But, dangit, rookery is so much easier to say, so to HECK with him and his precision :lol: :lol: That must be a site seeing a whole bunch of these. The trees at the Wild Animal Park have a significant number of several species of Egret roosting. Quite a nice site.

I keep coming back to that Vulture myself, and I'm not sure which shot I like best, the one I posted or the other more "vuture looking" one on the gallery page.

10. You are certainly in the majority, ID wise. Thanks, this was a fun place to shoot.

11. THanks, Terri. I think you will really like the 70-200. I resisted for quite some time, as I already had an 80-200 AFS f2.8, but I am quite happy that I made the switch. It is such a good range for so many things.

That heart-shaped nose is quite unusual and is one of the identifying marks of that animal. So often the best ID bits are from the other end :lol: :lol:

12. Thanks. If you get the chance, I do recommend it for anyone venturing to the San Diego area.

That Vulture seems to be gathering quite a following. I'm not sure what that says about the group of folks here....... :wink:

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hey Bill,
    Somebody finally got a good shot of me. LOLOL That is alot cuter than the adults. Come to think of it, someone told me I was cute when i was a baby lololol

I thank you for thinking of me.

the rest are really super..

Looks like you had a really great time.

Sure that sun wasn't to much coming from the green mold state :>)))))))

14. Gale, that IS the Adult. I'll have to go dig out the ID, but this was one very big bird. I thnk it was just called a "White Vulture". The coloring is incredible with all the subtle shades of silver and gray, really pretty.

The sun was tough, but I forced myself to deal with it. Sunshine was about the same as in Florida, but the humidity was far less :lol: If you saw the gallery, I did get a shot of a Turkey Vulture for you as well.....always trying to accomodate.....

Did you notice that a significant number of comments said they liked the vulture the best? I think you are having an effect on the forum members........ :wink:

15. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Bill -

This is a great series. All good shots, but the vulture is spectacular. And the black coots are very cute and colorful. It's funny how such ugly birds can be turned into striking images. Gotta visit that place.

Gordon

16. Thanks, Gordon, it is truly a grand place. And here you go, another vote for The Vulture, Gale will be happy :lol: .

When I first saw the baby Coots I had no clue what they were, until the adults showed up. You can bet I did a double-take on that one. You would find a visit quite worthwhile.....