San Francisco restaurant recommendations, please

My son and his wife will be spending a few days in the Fisherman's Wharf area next week and are looking for restaurant recommendations. It's been too long since I was there for my experiences to be worth anything.

Can my Cafe friends who live in the are provide some tips? They are looking for some nice places for dinner - it's not often they get a week away from their three children!

Penang Garden on Washington... Get the mussels in some sort of yellow sauce. Nom, nom, nom...

Aw, man, now I'm jealous and my mouf is watering...

Fisherman's Grotto #9 has great food and has a great view of the Golden Gate Bridge right out of it's window. For more touristy places to eat, you could always try the Stinking Rose, I've always wanted to go there.

A favorite restaurant of mine is Scoma's. It's right on the Wharf and has been there forever. I've recommended it to friends and to my son's choir group who went there this Spring. Everyone has loved it.

I agree on Scomas if they go to the wharf, great food. Bubba Gumps is a chain so I would say no on that one.

Stinking Rose is good, touristy and garlicky.

Butterfly is along the water and again very good..more of an asian fusion place.

If they want REALLY good food, but pricey then have them make a reservation at Boulevard, one of the great restaurants in the country. It is just down the road from the wharf at the Embarcadero..a short cab ride.

Bubba Gumps is worth the trip. Right on the wharf.
I don't know about anyone else but I think Bubba Gumps is the most terrible shrimp I've ever tasted. It had no flavor at all.

OP, wherever you decide to go, do the smart thing and Yelp it first..

Fisherman's Grotto #9 has great food and has a great view of the Golden Gate Bridge right out of it's window. For more touristy places to eat, you could always try the Stinking Rose, I've always wanted to go there.

Fisherman's Grotto #9 is excellent! There was so much Dungeness crab on my wife's pasta dish that she actually finished the noodles before the crab. And, though it may be touristy, the Stinking Rose is still a classic. Great food if you like garlic. Definitely get the roasted garlic appetizer with the sour dough bread. Yum..........

I'm from SoCal, but everytime I head up to the Bay area I eat at Crustacean Restaurant on California and Polk or Thanh Long at 46th and Judah. They have roasted dungeness crab like no one else.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom