Sanderling, D300, ISO 800 birding, large crops

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Commodorefirst, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I know you can't tell much with web size photos, but these do look nice full size at 100% on my monitor at home, even though they are pretty good crops,

a Juvy Sanderling, very rare around these parts, lucky if you see them migrating through,

First image is a 80% crop, D300, 200-400VR, ISO 800, f5, shutter speeds way up there, no TC, early morning light,

[​IMG]

a little less cropping around 60-70%, same bird, moving on along:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a back view contemplating the world ahead of him.

[​IMG]

2. Wade,

Nice shots. Any NR used in PP'ing? I am looking to get a D300 and have shot one some, but not much at 800iso.

3. Very nice. These birds are not easy to catch a eye level. Well done.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2008
  4. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    In camera set to normal NR and minimal post in NX2, nothing else done NR besides applying the in camera raw as shot settings.

5. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Thanks Alex, but I wasn't on the ground like the photog I was with. He was crawling around in the sharp gravel.

Wade

6. Wade these are excellent. You sure nailed the exposure and clarity on these, which looks to be a bit tricky due to the light backgrounds. Very well done.

7. nice shooting Wade., good work on the whites.

8. Agree...Shooting whites is a challenge...Great capture:wink:

9. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    thanks Louie, when I saw that I had my ISO still set on 800 from the first light, I was a touch worried, but glad to see that light was pretty good and I was able to meter pretty welll without hotspots.

thanks Ray, always trying.

Thanks Sal!

10. Tim O

Tim O

Jun 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Very nice captures even at the high ISO Wade,I wanted to go play this morning but I think the boss has other ideas for me today.Might slip away later this afternoon though for another try at some birding attempts:biggrin: