Critique Sanderling

Real Name
Andy
Edit #2 of the same photo, with many thanks to all who provided valuable feedback:
Coral_Cove_21D_4383-Edit-2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

[Original post follows]
Significantly edited. Too much?
Coral_Cove_21D_4383-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
I like the bird and the background.
I spend a lot of time at the beach, I am there now. Sand just isn't that blue.
I think the large swarth of out of focus foreground is too much, at least for me. It adds nothing to the story, yet my eyes keep trying to focus it.
My opinion, crop off much of the blurry foreground and desaturate the remaining sand. But it is your art.
Nice idea
gary

How in the world did I miss this gorgeous image? I don't have any idea what causes the blue tones in the sand but they provide an appealing surrealistic quality. For the people that don't like that detail, convert to monochrome, as it would be marvelous in a very different way, though you might need to get rid of the orange, blurred thing in the background.

One benefit of cropping the foreground area that is out of focus is that doing so would make the bird look so small against such a large sky. The bird's posture even indicates perhaps that it feels overwhelmed being such a small bird in such a large world.

Last edited:
"physically" the front and rear lines of focus would have to be parallel . There is no real way it would be angled, like the front when the rear line is straight.

That's true when using a standard lens and those lines of focus probably are parallel. The surface of the sand is not flat, which creates the look I believe you've identified.

Real Name
Andy
"physically" the front and rear lines of focus would have to be parallel
The face of the sand mound, as Mike pointed out, was angled with respect to the camera position. Can't take credit for intending to shoot it that way, but it was one of the reasons I selected this image from the rest.
you might need to get rid of the orange, blurred thing
I debated doing that (and still may in the final edit). I had thought the contrasting color to the blue was interesting. In monochrome, I think you're right that it would be just a distraction.
One benefit of cropping the foreground area that is out of focus is that doing so would make the bird look so small against such a large sky.
That is a great point.

If it was my image, I definitely would leave the orange thing as is in the color image. That's partly because I like the combination of warm and cool tones and partly because it's so blurred that it makes me wonder what it is, especially considering that I can easily imagine what it might be. The location of that orange thing relative to the subject also makes a great composition.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Klaus nominated your image for feature, so no pressure, when you get an edit finished we can feature the image, just place it in the first post in the thread. ;). Hehe... oh, keep the original too if you do not mind for reference.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom