Sanderlings up close and personal

Just before running into the mink which I recently posted I fooled around with a few sanderlings on the beach. They showed no fear at all.

D850/500mm PF

1} This one was just after the sun broke the horizon and was still deep orance/red. I love it when you get a few bubbles within the DOF like this. Shot in DX mode and slightly cropped due to leveling.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2) Another bird a few minutes later. This one in FX mode but cropped 10 percent or so due to leveling. I typically like a little more breathing room around the subject.

3) Same bird as no.2 but a little closer. Not even enough space in the frame to level this one.

Attachments

Last edited:
Everything about the first one -- colors, depth of field, posture, bubbles -- comes together to make a fabulous image.
Thanks, Mike. Yes that is definitely the best of the lot. A bit more light on the face would really have put that one over the top. The angle of the sun to the beach wasn't working in my favor.
A super display of images, great job Dan and what sweet light.
Thanks, Louie. It's such a pleasure to shoot when the lighting is like that.
All good but the first is really special.
Thanks, Allan. Yeah content trumps better techs every time.

Testing if EXIF displays.

Just before running into the mink which I recently posted I fooled around with a few sanderlings on the beach. They showed no fear at all.

D850/500mm PF

1} This one was just after the sun broke the horizon and was still deep orance/red. I love it when you get a few bubbles within the DOF like this. Shot in DX mode and slightly cropped due to leveling.
View attachment 1654757

2) Another bird a few minutes later. This one in FX mode but cropped 10 percent or so due to leveling. I typically like a little more breathing room around the subject.
View attachment 1654758

3) Same bird as no.2 but a little closer. Not even enough space in the frame to level this one.
View attachment 1654759
Jeepers, Dan. As others have said, these are off the charts great. That first just blows me away!

Jeepers, Dan. As others have said, these are off the charts great. That first just blows me away!
Thanks, Eric. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while.
this is so much more fun with the 500pf than with a 500/4
It was certainly easier to haul a couple of miles down that beach. But in low light there's nothing like looking through that big prime.
Dan, that first one is excellent!
Thanks, Mitch.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom