Sandhill Crane

We usually have these guys come in during the winter (Late Nov - Mid Feb), but there are a couple that call Gainesville, FL their home year round. This is one of them.

I lay on my belly to make sure that I got some sky in the photo. Getting low really made this shot stand out a bit more than the others. The spiderwort (purple flowers) don't hurt either ;)

Click for an HD version.

SCrane (Belly) by Miguel Palaviccini, on Flickr

P.S. I had to look up lay vs lie and the past tense of each to figure out that "I lay down" means the same as "I lie down" but in past tense. Just doesn't sound right! "I laid down" and "I lied down" are both incorrect. Go figure!

Terrific shot. They are beautiful birds. Your efforts are well rewarded with such an excellent photograph.

The flowers add a nice touch to this one and great detail on the bird. IMO the sky does not add anything. A slightly higher perspective without the blurred green, more play on the flowers, and eliminating the split horizon behind the bird would work too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the comments guys! Dan, I've got a couple where I was a bit higher and the blue in the sky wasn't showing. I'll post that one in a bit to see what you think :)

Thanks for taking a look!

Here is one shot from a bit higher perspective. I was on my knees for this one (so about 3 ft higher than the previous shot). While it's not the same shot, I don't think that it isolates the subject as much, and I'm not a fan of the ground/horizon line intersecting the body (I'd much rather intersect the feet).

Both were shot at f/7.1.

Thoughts?

SCrane (Knees) by Miguel Palaviccini, on Flickr

You're right in that you still have a split horizon behind the bird. It's all a matter of taste. I like everything about the second shot better except the bird. The bird itself in the first shot is far superior so the nits I mentioned are moot anyhow :smile:

Thanks for the critique though, I learned a bit from it :) I took a look at your website, love the bear shots!

You're right in that you still have a split horizon behind the bird. It's all a matter of taste. I like everything about the second shot better except the bird. The bird itself in the first shot is far superior so the nits I mentioned are moot anyhow :smile:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom